The Johnson & Johnson Law Department seeks a Senior Counsel, Environmental Law to be based in New Brunswick, NJ who will be the primary legal support for Johnson & Johnson’s environmental legal matters. This position will be part of the Johnson & Johnson Law Department.
Caring for the world, one person at a time, has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $70 billion in 2015 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical device markets. There are more than 250 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing approximately 127,000 people around the world.
As the lead attorney for environmental matters, the person filling this role will be extensively involved in advising on various environmental health, safety, and sustainability (“EHS&S”) matters throughout our operations as well as related areas within supply chain and procurement and enterprise governance on a global basis.
As such, this position will work closely with our businesses and other support functions, including the EHS&S group, and be directly responsible for providing legal counsel and support for advice related to the following: real estate and site related environmental issues; supply chain related environmental issues; environmental product and packaging regulations; sustainability goals; and emerging policy related environmental issues. This position will also be responsible for proactively identifying, assessing and, as appropriate, influencing relevant laws and regulations as well as preparing and providing training to management and operations teams on these issues. These areas of focus are critical to Johnson & Johnson’s business in that they help ensure compliance with all relevant legal and regulatory frameworks as well as our commitments to protect and maintain the environment and natural resources.
While the primary legal focus for this role will be related to United States operations and compliance in the areas noted above, this role will be responsible for coordinating similar activities outside the United States in collaboration with other Johnson & Johnson attorneys and/or outside counsel, and will also assume such other responsibilities as align with the successful candidate’s background and other areas of expertise. Working with others within the Law Department as well as functional groups across Johnson & Johnson, this role will also continually keep abreast of legal and regulatory developments to ensure that legal support provided is innovative, agile and appropriately adapted to the evolving environment.
• The ideal candidate will have 8-10 years’ experience representing companies in either an in-house or outside capacity in the various EHS&S matters noted above, including working with governmental agencies, NGOs or external stakeholders on these issues. Experience in the pharmaceutical and/or consumer products industries is helpful and preferred.
• A JD is required.
• Authorized to practice law in at least one US jurisdiction is required.
• Ability to collaborate with business partners, stakeholders, internal attorneys, and outside counsel is required.
• The position requires a proactive approach to understanding, evaluating, and advising on complex EHS&S legal matters.
• Experience with product environmental stewardship legal requirements and sustainability matters, including REACH, WEEE, ROHS, TSCA, Prop 65 preferred; facility environmental matters such as CERCLA, the Clean Water Act, RCRA, and the SDWA also a plus.
• Travel as needed to fulfill requirements of the role (anticipated to be up to 15% both domestically and internationally). Primary Location
United States-New Jersey-New BrunswickOrganization
Johnson & Johnson (6067)Job Function
Corporate LawRequisition ID
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.