At MetLife, we're leading the global transformation of an industry we've long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we're dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. Once separated, the new business will be called Brighthouse Financial.
Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers' lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company's mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable. Job Location
United States : New York : New York Alternate Job Location
Not Applicable : Not Applicable Summary of Responsibilities
The Corporate Counsel role is a new position being created in preparation for the planned separation. The Corporate Counsel will generally provide legal advice to Brighthouse Financial on a wide variety of executive compensation, corporate governance, and related areas of corporate, securities, and human resources law, including through effective partnership with tax and ERISA professionals. Principal Responsibilities
- Providing counsel to the Human Resources Team on a wide variety of executive and director compensation matters including considerations in design, drafting, implementation, governance, operations, recordkeeping, employee communications, disclosure, and expectations of executives, Board members, shareholders, shareholder advisors, and the public regarding compensation, benefits, perquisites, and other arrangements with executives and directors.
- Advising on all aspects of securities matters related to executive and director compensation, including'33 Act registration requirements and registration alternatives and `34 Act disclosure requirements. Advising on all aspects of NYSE rules related to executive and director compensation, including plan design, governance, and disclosure requirements.
- Planning, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of executive and director compensation arrangements, including incentive award agreements, for annual and long-term incentive programs, and including director compensation programs, that comply with governing plan documents and all applicable rules, and that are well-positioned for public disclosure.
- Drafting, and providing comments on drafts of, securities disclosures, including 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, registration statements (including S-8s), 10(a) prospectuses, Section 16 filings, and proxy statement filings, as they relate to executive compensation or related matters.
- Partnering with tax professionals to obtain their input on design and drafting of equity plans/programs as well as other executive compensation matters. Providing counsel to enterprise tax professionals to determine when deferred compensation is a securities offering and when summary plan descriptions or program descriptions must meet prospectus requirements.
Supervisory ResponsibilitiesTravelRequired Qualifications
- Performing other duties appropriate to the role, or as required or necessary.
- 5+ years legal experience in executive compensation.
- Substantive expertise in all securities laws, NYSE listing rules, shareholder advisor guidelines, and common/best practices as they relate to executive compensation.
- Familiarity with Internal Revenue Code Sections 409A, 162(m), 457A and 280G sufficient to know when to involved enterprise tax attorneys.
- Excellent academic credentials.
- Strong legal research, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Anticipates legal issues and works proactively to address them; follows up and sees matters through to completion.
- Robust written and oral communication skills.
- Exhibits strong business acumen.
- Exhibits influence and leadership skills, especially in the context of the ability to relate to different stakeholders, business partners and colleagues.
- Interacts well with colleagues, clients, and senior management.
- Strong decision making skills.
- Dedication to excellence and working in a spirit of partnership and collegiality.
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial mindset.
- Able to work independently; exercises good judgment in determining when to consult management, colleagues, and clients.
- Must be able to handle complex assignments from start to finish with minimal supervision.
- Handles substantial and varied workload and time sensitive situations effectively, balancing competing demands and assessing business priorities.
- Flexible and willing to learn new skills.
- Enjoys challenging assignments.
- Willingness to receive coaching and mentoring.
- Willingness and ability to improve operations and implement effective policies and procedures.
- Insurance company client experience not required, but a plus.
- In-house experience not required, but a plus.
- J.D. degree.
- Licensed to practice in New York.
Brighthouse Financial Department
Legal, Communication and Compliance Job Category
Legal Number of Openings
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace. Note to Mobile Users: If viewing on a mobile device and would like to apply, please email the job to yourself and complete the application from a desktop/laptop. Note to Desktop/Laptop Users: For immediate consideration, click Apply Now button below. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile which takes 10 - 15 minutes to complete. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job. Internal Use Only: 13M
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.