Senior Data Engineer, Emerging Technologies Elasticsearch
Location: Riverwoods, Illinois
Posted: April 05, 2017
Reference ID: P171584_S1
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you'll find yourself in the company of some of the industry's smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
As Discovers Business Technology organization continues to innovate with new open source technologies, a new opportunity has been opened on the Emerging Technologies team in the Enterprise Architecture group.
*** The position will initially be based in our Riverwoods, Illinois Headquarter. However it is possible that the position will be re-located to our downtown Chicago office. As it stands, the team is working 3 to 4 days per week in the downtown office. ***
This position will join a team focused on innovative data engineering solutions. The initial focus for this role will be to deliver a centralized logging data lake solution, working closely with our partner teams to ensure they are successful in on-boarding. As a Sr. Associate, you will be responsible for implementation of solution as well as ongoing operational support.
There will be opportunities to promote Discover and its innovative solutions (i.e., Developer API) that this team will be involved in driving forward, so we expect this individual to be comfortable in these outreach responsibilities.
* Support of the Centralized Logging Service (CLS) and assistance in the design and implementation of the solution, based on Elasticsearch, Logstash, Filebeats, Kafka and Nifi services.
* Maintain a high level of competency in big data solutions and aligned technologies. i.e. ElasticSearch, Kibana, Logstash, and the Hadoop ecosystem.
* Develop self-service capabilities by which applications will board the service.
* Take an agile pro-active approach that delivers improvements to the organization in a timely basis.
* Identifying opportunities to innovate on top of the CLS data, which promote skills in Data Analytics.
* Delivering new capabilities with new technologies (i.e., machine learning) that deliver additional value.
* Develop data science expertise.
* Provide technical leadership to application developers and other internal stakeholders regarding all aspects of Centralized Logging Solution.
* Perform strategic planning, upgrades, maintenance and support.
* Actively contribute to and drive creation of artifacts for CLS Architectures, Design Considerations and Best Practices.
* Maintain working knowledge of alternative Log Analytic solutions (i.e. Splunk, Elastic Filebeats/Logstash and Apache Metron), as well as cloud-based offerings.
* Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
* Bachelors Degree
* 2+ years of hands on experience with ElasticSearch and Kibana.
* 1+ years of hands on experience with Kafka.
* Experience supporting a product or service provided to a development community.
* Experience in a support based operations capacity, middleware or web is preferred.
* BIG Data experience preferred. Chef experience beneficial.
* Exposure to: Apache NiFi, Hadoop (Hortonworks preferred), Kafka, Java (experience supporting, with tuning and stability experience preferred).
* Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) would be beneficial.
Since Discover launched in 1986, we've made a business of redefining the credit card industry for the better. We were first to have no annual fee, first to offer cash rewards, first to provide 24/7 customer service, and we rank #1 in customer loyalty. As a Fortune 500 company, we strive to provide our employees with an environment where they can contribute in a way that's different from other large institutions. If you're looking for a place to make a difference and let your voice shine through, we'd love to meet you.
Apply today at discover.com/careers.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.