Senior Data Engineer
We may be a bank, but we think and operate like a tech company. A tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products. A tech company that experiments and innovates with the latest technologies, engineers’ breakthrough customer experiences, and brings simplicity and humanity to banking.
We began life in 1988 by harnessing the power of big data to create customized products that disrupted the credit card industry. Now we are doubling down on that big data strategy, and we are looking for great data engineers to join us.
As a Capital One Data Engineer, you'll be part of an Agile or platform team dedicated to breaking the norm and pushing the limits of continuous improvement and innovation. You will participate in detailed technical design, development and implementation of applications using existing and emerging technology platforms. Working within an Agile environment, you will provide input into architectural design decisions, develop code to meet story acceptance criteria, and ensure that the applications we build are always available to our customers. You'll have the opportunity to mentor other engineers and develop your technical knowledge and skills to keep your mind and our business on the cutting edge of technology. At Capital One, we have seas of big data and rivers of fast data. To tame it all we're using tools like Spark, Scala, Akka, Cassandra, Accumulo, HBase, Hadoop, HDFS, AVRO, MongoDB, and Mesos and we're on the look-out for anything else that will help us.
Who you are:
- You yearn to be part of cutting edge, high profile projects and are motivated by delivering world-class solutions on an aggressive schedule
- Someone who is not intimidated by challenges; thrives even under pressure; is passionate about their craft; and hyper focused on delivering exceptional results
- You love to learn new technologies and mentor junior engineers to raise the bar on your team
- It would be awesome if you have a robust portfolio on Github and / or open source contributions you are proud to share
- Passionate about intuitive and engaging user interfaces, as well as new/emerging concepts and techniques in web design
- You use, or are passionate about learning, Spark, Scala, Akka, Kafka, Cassandra, Accumulo, HBase, Hadoop, HDFS, AVRO, MongoDB, and Mesos – and anything else that will help you solve big, messy problems
What we have:
- Flexible work schedules
- Convenient office locations
- Generous salary and merit-based pay incentives
- A startup mindset with the wallet of a top 10 bank
- Monthly innovation challenges dedicated to test driving cutting edge technologies
- Your choice of equipment (MacBook/PC, iPhone/Android Device)
Responsible for designing NoSQL and Relational databases in support of OLTP and data warehouse applications.
Involved with physical database design, including creation and review. Consults with developers and DBAs on issues, best practices, and transitions from
logical to physical design. Resolves database issues and recommends solutions.
- Builds and maintains data warehouse databases. Designs, codes, tests and implements complex programs and scripts.
- Writes scripts and commands for data manipulation. Resolves database issues and break fixes.
- Coordinates with other IT departments to ensure implementation and monitoring of databases. Troubleshoots existing
implementations to determine root cause of performance or data quality issues and reports these issues to appropriate
- Plans and conducts data warehouse unit system tests, monitors results and takes corrective action as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Military Experience
- At least 3 years of experience in MongoDB Administration
- Master's Degree
- 2 years’ experience in Oracle, PostGreSQL or MySQL DB Administration
- 2 years’ experience with Agile engineering practices
- 2 years’ experience with the Hadoop stack
- 2 years’ experience with NoSQL implementation
- 2 years’ experience developing Java based software solutions
- 2 years’ experience with Relational Database Systems and SQL
- 2 years’ experience designing, developing, and implementing ETL
- AWS Solutions Architect Certification
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.