Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a senior data scientist to join our business intelligence and risk team. The ideal candidate has a strong technical background in machine learning, data mining, statistics or a related quantitative field and has the ability to carry out innovative research and development using advanced statistical modeling techniques.Responsibilities
- Research and develop state-of-the-art machine learning, data mining and statistical modeling solutions to understand game design, system performance and key business behaviors, such as player acquisition, retention, and winback.
- Analyze and extract key insights and patterns from Blizzard's rich collections of petabytes of gameplay and operational data.
- Design and develop innovative predictive models for applications like matchmaking, recommendation systems, targeted marketing, etc.
- Work closely with data and systems engineers to deploy and maintain models seamlessly on production systems.
- Establish scalable, automated processes for large scale data extraction, model development, model validation and model implementation.
- Effectively translate statistical findings into actionable recommendations for senior leaders on game design and business teams.
- Mentor PhD data science interns on model design, feature building, model evaluation and deployment.
- PhD from a top-tier university with a specialization in Machine Learning, Statistics, Applied Math, or in a related quantitative field
- Expertise in machine learning and statistical analysis approaches such as classification, clustering, regression, statistical inference, collaborative filtering, natural language processing, experimental design, social networking analysis, etc.
- Able to invent and prototype novel machine learning algorithms from scratch
- A minimum of 3 years' hands-on applied research experience developing and implementing machine learning models on large scale data sets
- Expertise in automating and deploying models in production systems
- Strong problem solving skills
- Proficient with programming languages like Python, Java or C
- Strong programming and prototyping skills in R or MATLAB
- Expertise with SQL, MPP and NoSQL databases
- Expertise with Big Data and Hadoop tech stack (HDFS / Map Reduce / Mahout / Hive / Spark)
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Passion for video games
Required Application Materials
- Experience with Blizzard Entertainment games
- Experience mentoring junior scientists or PhD interns
- A proven track record of original contributions to machine learning and statistics
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
A little about us:
Blizzard Entertainment is a premier developer/publisher of entertainment software, including World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Hearthstone.