The Database and Middleware Engineering team is part of Operations & Infrastructure Technology Platform and is responsible for common integration infrastructure that supports communication between multiple enterprise applications and multiple business lines.
This role will be responsible for design, integration, advanced problem analysis, successful deployment, and continuous operational improvement of database technologies used at Visa. The individual should be well versed in database administration practices and principles. The individual will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. He or she will provide technical influence and subject matter expertise for the database team. JOB SCOPE
This is an individual contributor role, responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. This role serves as a technical/functional specialist and works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations. RESPONSIBILITIES
Support non-production database and database availability, database security patching, implementation of database maintenance and support the availability of development, QA and pre-production environments. The candidate will also manage a portfolio of applications and will work with business technology groups to implement new database solutions and to maintain their own existing database portfolio. Acts fairly independent and in a matrix role with various technical team to perform database functions. This includes but is not limited to advanced to expert engineering and implementation of the following:
- Able to adapt to a constantly changing environment with potentially conflicting priorities
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Collaborate with other DBAs and Application developers to achieve deliverables.
- Define and improve process maturity needs surrounding Database support and adoption of best practices.
- Assure that the data is backed up to provide recovery
- Control access to tables, plans, and packages
- Tune SQL queries
- Monitor state of the DBMS
- Prepare for upgrades and migration
- Reduce or automate repetitive tasks
- Maintain structural consistency within the multiple test environments
- Ability to work within a team environment and communicate effectively with others from a remote location
- Represent the database team in application development projects with business analysts
- Proficiency with logical and physical data modeling design concepts
- Solid performance tuning experience in assisting developers with SQL queries, indexing, stored procedures, triggers and resolving concurrency issues
- Experience with table partitioning and maintaining very large databases
- Creation and maintenance of database objects (tables, columns, indexes, etc)
- Implement best practices for database backup and recovery strategies
- Setup and support of database utilities including REORG, RUNSTATS, LOAD, UNLOAD, BIND, and EXPLAIN
- Demonstrated knowledge of third party tools (FileAid,CA, RLX/REXX, etc)
- Ability to make decisions and demonstrate problem solving skills, analysis, prioritization and risk taking
- Ability to plan and execute a project to completion
- Demonstrate personal ownership of assignments
- Proactively raise and resolve issues
- Strong ability to multitask
- Participate in the evaluation, selection and implementation of DBA tools to improve the effectiveness of tasks such as performance monitoring and tuning, recovery, and database change management processing.
About Visa: Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity
- Bachelors/Degree in Computer Science or other technology field or equivalent experience
- Minimum 10 years DB2 z/OS DBA experience.
- Must have experience managing very large database environment.
- Emphasis on DB2 performance tuning techniques
- Demonstrated proficiency of troubleshooting techniques and detail-oriented problem diagnosis.
- Auditing, Security and SOX compliance and reporting
- Ability to analyze and resolve data issues.
- Experience in high-volume database systems.
- Experience in deploying database changes for new releases with minimal downtime.
- Knowledge of z/OS Operating system administration.
- Must have excellent communication skills to be able to interact with application developers and end-users to fully understand their requirements.
- Strong problem solving skills are necessary to resolve application problem issues.
- BS in Computer Science or related area of study.
- Significant professional experience will be considered in place of degree.
- Experience with DB2 on AIX and/or Windows is a plus.
- Good interpersonal skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills. Demonstrated ability to solve complex systems and database environment issues.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a complex organization to determine business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs.
- Work experience in a Financial Institute will be preferred.
. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind - making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere . This is our global vision and the common purpose
that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa's sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity
to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
"Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code."
A little about us:
As a global company at the forefront of the electronic payments industry, Visa is a dynamic organization.