Spotlight Platform Engineering Group helps drive the new generation of products that are transforming Comcast into a media and technology company. Engineering manages the operations for Comcast's industry-leading video, high-speed Internet and voice services for consumers and businesses, and runs a network that supports numerous multi-billion dollar businesses. Comcast is creating next-generation technology for the fast-growing advanced advertising market. We enable and innovate solutions to support both traditional and emerging programmatic and premium advertising markets through our platforms, data, marketplace and sales channels.
This is a senior level position Eng 4, Software Dev & Engineering requiring expertise in Vertica Development. Responsible for design and to implement core distributed system components to ensure consistent, reliable, and high performance database operation. A significant contributor to the Database team. Will employ cutting edge techniques to innovate and implement the fundamental changes necessary to scale highly visible advertising products. In addition to software development, responsible for build tools and processes for diagnosing problems in complex multi-node environments as well as communicate systems concepts and scenarios to the rest of the organization.
- Provides application software development services or technical support in more complex situations.
-Works closely with other project developers and DBAs in order to efficiently coordinate all development efforts, including the gathering of requirements and documentation.
- Has thorough knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle.
- Conducts reviews of the test Plan and test Data.
- Analyzes, defines and documents requirements for data, workflow, logical processes, hardware and operating system environment, interfaces with other systems, internal and external checks, controls, and outputs using TSG's standard development methodology.
- Coordinates coding, testing, implementation and documentation of solution.
- Ensures that expected application performance levels are achieved.
- Conducts analysis of organizational needs and goals for the development and implementation of application systems. Proposes innovative, creative technology solutions. Contributes to the achievement of related teams' objectives. Qualifications
- Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
- Designs new software and web applications, supports applications under development, and customizes current applications. Develops software update process for existing applications. Assists in the roll-out of software releases.
- Trains junior Software Development Engineers on internally developed software applications.
- Oversees the researching, writing, and editing of documentation and technical requirements, including evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals, and formal recommendations and reports.
- Keeps current with technological developments within the industry.
- Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products.
- Reviews literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Provides technical leadership throughout the design process and guidance with regards to practices, procedures, and techniques. Serves as a guide and mentor for junior level Software Development Engineers.
- Assists in tracking and evaluating performance metrics. Ensures team delivers software on time, to specification, and within budget.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit specification and technical requirements.
- Displays expertise in knowledge of engineering methodologies, concepts, and skills and their application in the area of specified engineering specialty.
- Displays expertise in process design and redesign skills. Presents and defends architectural, design, and technical choices to internal audiences.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science engineering or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required,
- Generally requires 7-11 years related experience
Additional Required Skills:
- Hadoop infrastructures, as it relates to moving data from Hadoop to Vertica
- Collaborating with business analysts, Project Managers and Architects.
- Understanding and usage of Vertica columnar compression and columnar database design
- Understanding of database modeling (relational vs dimensional)
- Calculating projection data
- Advanced SQL
- "Big Data" management techniques
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of complex application development projects and a strong understanding of distributed technology platforms.
- Sound Knowledge of Vertica Architecture, along with the hands-on implementation with at-least two E2E Vertica execution projects.
- Strong Data Migration experience from Hadoop, Oracle, Teradata to Vertica is required as well.
- Experience with reporting tools such as Business objects or Tableau is desired.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer