Senior Demand Forecaster
Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations (MCIO) is responsible for planning and delivering the data center infrastructure that supports all of Microsoft’s worldwide cloud businesses. With the massive success and unprecedented growth of over 200 online businesses including Azure, Office 365, and Dynamics, the cloud is poised to become an even more crucial part of Microsoft’s success in the future. It may even be characterized as historical, and you can be a part of it. At the farthest upstream point of MCIO is Cloud Services Demand Forecasting (CSDF). As a forecaster, you will be uniquely positioned to have a huge positive impact very quickly, and due to the relative infancy of the cloud, there is both an opportunity and responsibility to be more creative and flexible than can usually be found in an engineering-centric environment.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about forecast modeling and business analytics, is comfortable dealing with ambiguity and unknowns, and has a track record of making data-driven decisions and recommendations to drive business value. Join us and remember why you fell in love with planning in the first place.
As a Senior Forecaster, you will:
1. Own the end-to-end demand forecasting process for one or more Microsoft cloud services (e.g. Azure, Office 365, Bing, Xbox).
2. Perform exploratory data analysis to identify trends, patterns, correlations, and insights to aid in developing new forecasting models and improve existing models.
3. Document and communicate demand forecast insights to stakeholders up to and including the executive level.
4. Prioritize assignments and work within a matrix team environment.
In addition, as business needs and your interests dictate, your responsibilities may include:
1. Defining forecast KPIs, tracking forecast performance and developing plans to continually improve performance.
2. Building collaborative v-teams across Engineering, Operations, Sales & Marketing, Capacity Planning, and Finance to drive end-to-end improvements in the capacity supply chain.
3. Generating requirements for Data Engineering to access new data sources, and for Data Science to generate new forecasting models to satisfy the needs of our business stakeholders.
4. Appling “continuous improvement” techniques to drive process efficiencies with a focus on data quality, forecast accuracy, automation, cycle time reduction and forecast insights.
5. Performing ad-hoc analysis on critical business issues related to cloud services demand and capacity.
Skills & Qualifications
a. Adept and passionate about building relationships across disparate teams and working in a matrix environment.
b. Self-starter who can move forward in the face of ambiguity and can help drive to clarity and impact in projects.
c. Quick learner and able to adapt to changing environment and learn new, complex topics; a consummate learner.
d. Solid analytics problem solving skills; able to distill a problem down to its solvable parts and work a way through to a solution.
e. Adept at communicating findings: pliable to differing audiences, skilled at various data visualizations
f. Able to balance mathematical rigor with an action orientation to solve real business problems in a rapid timeframe.
g. Driven to not only solve problems but to collaborate with, contribute to, and learn from others, both inside our team and with our stakeholders in the Cloud supply chain (humble and teachable).
h. Excellent creative thinking skills with emphasis on developing innovative solutions to solve complex problems that may not have one clear answer.
• BS in economics, engineering, computer science, operations research or a similar technical or analytical field.
• Minimum 3 years of experience in supply chain, demand planning, advanced analytics, or related field.
• Experience in data analytics using Microsoft Excel.
• Experience Helpful but not Required Experience with datacenter operations MS/PhD in economics, engineering, computer science, operations research or a similar technical or analytical field, or an MBA.
• 5-7 years of experience in supply chain, demand planning, advanced analytics, or related field.
• Understanding and experience in forecasting science and predictive modeling a plus.
• Experience accessing and working with data in SQL, or if no SQL background willingness to learn (applies to many other technologies as well).
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.