At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a Senior Design Manager to lead the charge within the Home Care Division of our Consumer Business Group at the 3M Design Center, located in St. Paul, MN.Introduction
The person hired for the position of Senior Design Manager
will establish a design strategy to deliver an appropriate design practice for the Home Care Division. In this leadership role, the Senior Design Manager will work closely with cross-functional teams and Home Care Leadership team across the division to establish complex long-term strategic design direction as well as oversight for product design, brand design, user experience design, design research and process improvements.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow's solutions to today's problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going to ensure our design organization is world class. We're looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.Major Duties & Responsibilities
Senior Design Manager primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides leadership and direct management of several direct reports as part of the cross-discipline design team within the Home Care Division.
- Builds and manages the development of the internal design team and external network to effectively deliver meaningful brand experiences, products and solutions.
- Acts as champion of Design across the division, collaborating close with cross-functional teams.
- Partners with key leadership and stakeholders to strategize on mid- and long-term business relevant design programs.
- Leads the creation of a strong, user-centered vision for product, service and experiences.
- Leads the creative direction and design execution of key priority programs across all brand touch-points e.g. product, UX/UI and packaging.
- Confidently facilitates cross-functional teams in creative problem solving methods using design thinking approach and tools.
- Establishes and institutionalizes ID, Brand and UX/UI, design guidelines for the division.
- Lead global design program alignment, working with the global design and division teams to manage and deliver programs and ensure brand quality and consistency across the portfolio.
- Defines and implements design process to align, manage and deliver design within the Home Care Division of CBG.
- Brings inspiration for new business opportunities through trend, foresighting and value mapping.
- Builds strategic design partnership within a customer engagement context; inspires others to use our technologies and solutions.
- Prepares and manage annual budget for Design within the Home Care Division of CBG.
- Will report to the CBG Design Officer and work closely on design strategies, policies, talent management, process, methods and tools and messaging to drive design functional leadership across the division.
- The senior Design Manager for Home Care Division will interact with senior level of the CBG organization and represent design on the division operating committee collaborating with the divisional Vice President and directors for technology and marketing to prioritize annual programs and budgets for all design activities.
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university in design, design research or design management
- Minimum of ten 10 combined years of experience working with and in diverse brand touch points, industries, and/or geographies
Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential examples of design work that you or your teams have led.Location
- Master's or Bachelor's degree in industrial design, visual communication, design strategy, design research or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum of 5 years management experience in a design function.
- 12-15 years of experience with product development that includes driving a product from conception through launch and assessing post-launch effectiveness.
- Proven record of using design research to answer business strategy questions and needs.
- Inspirational communicator and thought leader in the design community.
- Openness to change, visionary, strategic thinking and constantly evaluating new opportunities and ideas.
- Strong story-telling and presentation skills and a passion for creative expression.
- Experience in managing and directing of cross-functional and creative teams driving collaboration
: Maplewood, MNTravel:
Up to 20%Relocation:
Is authorizedAbout 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. 3M is a global innovation company with $32 billion in sales, employing 90,000 people worldwide with operations in more than 70 countries. For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter.
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.