Skype enables the world’s conversations. Every day, millions of individuals and businesses use Skype video and voice calls, instant messages and sharing to connect, be and do things together, across a variety of devices. Our design team is motivated by connecting people worldwide through products they depend on and love. We value creativity, open idea sharing and place a premium on enjoying our work. In short, we keep our users front and center by reflecting their values in the way we work, and anticipating their future needs. We want our users to love our products and we are committed to providing them with the most engaging and natural experience to connect.
This role is to join our creative team specifically built to define the next generation of Skype products. We’re looking for an experienced visual designer whose work reflects a deep passion for connecting people, a deep curiosity for exploring new product visual paradigms, an affinity for designing cohesive experiences, a sensible and thorough pursuit of user-delight, and a track record for delivering thoughtful and iconic products. Being highly creative and enthusiastic with a love for solving design problems at all levels - from big picture thinking, to proof of concepts prototypes, to detailed design - is a must. We need a designer who leads by doing, someone who likes to take on challenging problems, tell moving stories, and inspire our organization. You will be articulating your visual design proposals to diverse audiences of senior executives, engineers, program managers and fellow designers across the Microsoft ecosystem using a wide variety of methods - from sketches, storyboards and prototypes to high fidelity visual designs and 3D renders.
• Act as a visual design authority for the Skype team, providing creative leadership to fellow designers and providing a strong voice for visual design across Skype’s partner groups
• Collaborate with and inspire designers, product managers, engineers and senior leaders to deliver world class communication and sharing experiences
• Foster an environment of objective learning and transparent collaboration within the team and develop visual design skills in other team members
• Conceptualize, create, maintain and review detailed product visual documentation throughout the project lifecycle, including high quality visual guidelines (redlines, palettes, fonts, type ramps, accessibility guidelines, etc)
• Act as a visual authority in 3D design, working with state of the art visual design tools to deliver rich and engaging fully immersive 3D experiences
• Consult on a regular basis with project and senior leadership to align expectations and deliverables, as well as anticipate obstacles and mitigate for them
• Have an open-minded approach to design and display the ability to challenge convention while delivering on key success metrics Excel at cross-disciplinary collaboration and leadership
• Champion and evangelize brand tenets across the team and enable creativity in others
• 5+ years of visual design experience with a focus on consumer products
• 1+ years’ experience in one or many standard video editing and animation software: Adobe Premiere, Cinema 4D, etc.
• Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree in a visual design-focused discipline preferably with strong experience in 3D design
• Portfolio evidencing end to end delivery of design assets from conceptual ideation sketches to final design comps and the ability to create outstanding visual specs/guidelines
• Operated as lead visual designer on previous projects, including shepherding non-creative staff through the creative process
• Demonstrated ability to hold and communicate a strong creative vision with a commitment to championing brand tenets
• Demonstrated knowledge of user-centered, ergonomic, and human factors design Extensive knowledge in prototyping, visualization, and storytelling techniques
• Experience partnering with other design disciplines, product engineers, business leaders to deliver innovative interactions
• Hands-on knowledge and familiarity with UX prototyping tools
• Strong ability to design in traditional design tools such as Sketch, Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop/AfterEffects, as well as Microsoft Office suite of products
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.