Senior Director Commercial Leader, Aviation
Company: General Electric
Location: Albany, New York
Posted: November 06, 2017
Reference ID: 3016472
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www.ge.com/sites/default/files/15-000845%20EEO%20combined.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Responsible for monetization of GE technologies and intellectual property (IP) globally via structures ranging from Licensing to new venture creation in partnership with GE Business units (GE BU), specifically one of Aviation, Digital, Healthcare, or Power. This will include driving program origination from the units as well as optimizing returns for the units.
The role will leverage GE Venture Licensing (GEVL) team's capabilities in evaluation, market & business models and commercial deal negotiation and execution. Emphasis will be on developing and executing go to market strategies for programs, deal & program/team structuring, negotiation and program management, taking into account business constraints including for example IP encumbrances, regulatory, compliance, labor, trade controls and product strategies. The role will bring direct financial & strategic value of novel and various business models to GE, leading in building a culture of integrity, while pushing business boundaries.
• Lead GE Business unit engagement on the following:
o Lead the origination and program build of technology & IP commercialization candidates
o Lead technology & IP evaluation for commercial opportunity. Support IP strategy for new commercialization models. Understand patents and related intellectual property, determine its value in a given program and business model
o Provide commercial support in new markets for technology transfer, joint development, and IP licensing programs
o Coordinate GE Ventures-Licensing funding activities for GE Business Unit-related programs
o Work closely across GE to coordinate interface between GEVL and GE Business Units, sharing best practice and business model sharing
• Develop & execute business plans, including IP/tech assessments, valuations, market/customer analysis, deal/agreement structuring, and negotiation/execution where appropriate.
• Work closely with GE Ventures Licensing team for business case creation & execution for new programs
o Perform market research, prepare financial projections and utilize the output to determine potential transaction partnership value
o Structure and negotiate IP/technology deals
o Manage and launch teams to execute programs
• Cultivate relationships with the GE Business Unit leaders and teams to become a trusted technology commercialization partner
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college in engineering, natural science or a related field.
• Minimum 10 years' experience in commercializing technologies
• Advanced degree in engineering, physical or healthcare sciences
• MBA in marketing or finance, or legal equivalent degree
• Demonstrated knowledge of building business cases for patent/technology driven programs, including market sizing, valuation and customer identification
• 10 years' experience commercializing new technology, including 1-2 year negotiation experience
• Demonstrated experience leading evaluation of new technologies
• Demonstrated experience in intellectual property analysis and landscape assessment
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Experience with IP technology transfer, licensing, sale and/or for joint development across multiple companies
• Able to effectively interface with all levels of internal and external customers
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
Locations: United States; Florida, Michigan, New York, Ohio; Niskayuna, Grand Rapids, Cincinatti,
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.