JBio, Janssen Research and Development, L.L.C., a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Director Discovery Biologics Research located in Spring House, PA. JBIO works on projects from five therapeutic areas and enables discovery of new therapeutics concepts in collaboration with Therapeutic area discovery counterparts. This position will be accountable and responsible for directing and exercising full supervision of activities outlined below to meet organizational and scientific objectives through subordinates for four of the five therapeutic areas and directly responsible for one. Key scientific responsibilities include but are not limited to (1) scientifically maturing project proposals from various Therapeutic areas through developing mechanistic and other assays and required tools and reagents for efficient execution of lead discovery process designed to deliver high quality molecules to support clinical proof of concept. (2) Support target discovery by building required biological assays, systems and cell lines for identifying cell or tissue specific antibodies. Carrying out activities that result in targets and concepts that become scientific projects in TAs (3) Work with therapeutic areas in collaboration for enabling their exploratory/concept building research by strengthening scientific understanding through experimentation or through clever tool designs and help make go/no go decisions. (4) Efficient use of various expertise spread among various functions with JBIO. Success of the group will be determined by the scientific strength of the concepts in the portfolio project and timeline for delivering the leads into early development and progression to proof of concept studies in humans. (5) Working with Antibody and other teams responsible for design and generation of reagents to support JBIO functions.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
• Accountable for scientific robustness of early portfolio and quickly identifying and supporting high value assets
• Mentor, help and support JBIO project leads put together critical path driven comprehensive activities
• Initiate long-term projects based on understanding of current and future corporate needs. Sets priorities and objectives of scientific staff, as directed by Therapeutic Area (TA) needs.
• Identify key issues and allocate resources to support goals and support progression of projects.
• Possess in-depth, current knowledge and well versed in developing mechanistic assays and target discovery using novel antibody generation and characterization methods.
• Assist in directing efforts in management for Biologics Research.
• Author patents, publications or trade secrets.
• Preparation of regulatory documents when needed.
• Work adeptly in a matrix environment and act as internal consultant in areas of expertise.
• Communicate effectively and influence decisions and judgments outside of immediate area of responsibility.
• PHD, with a minimum of 10 years of experience in drug development with industry or related (e.g. pharma, biotech, CRO, academic clinical research) leadership experience.
• Demonstrated expertise in the area of biology in either oncology or immunology or metabolic diseases through strong publications and proven record of target discovery and large molecule discovery is required.
• Efficient in use of bioinformatics and in-depth knowledge of soluble and cell surface proteins is required.
• Demonstrated proficiency in assay development is required.
• Additional education and significant academic or industry research experience is desirable, especially in leading projects for large molecules is preferred
• The successful candidate must possess a proven track record of exceptional team management including the consistent demonstration of behaviors as defined in Leadership Imperatives (Live our Credo, Connect, Shape, Lead, Deliver) is required.
• Ability to interface effectively and positively with all levels of colleagues in research, non-clinical and clinical, is essential.
• Team leadership is required, and experience in a heavily matrixed environment is essential.
• Ability to travel up to 10-15% yearly is required (International as well as Domestic) is required. Primary Location
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring HouseOrganization
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)Job Function