If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions - join us. MedImmune
is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease.
We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we're industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
As a Senior Director, Drug Deliver
in Gaithersburg, MD you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.Position Summary
The incumbent will lead the MedImmune Drug Delivery group that develops drug delivery systems and novel formulations for the biologics portfolio. The scope of the role includes development of drug delivery strategies for the product portfolio, technology selection, feasibility testing, and development of drug delivery systems for clinical testing. Accountabilities include the development of a diverse group of technologies that are essential to meet the MedImmune strategic goals in precision medicine and in vivo biologics, as well as strategies in MedImmune therapeutics areas and project teams. The incumbent must attract top talent, build technical capabilities and scientific leadership, and shape the direction of the group. This position requires significant interaction with MedImmune / AstraZeneca senior leaders and functional areas in Research and Development. The incumbent will also manage technical aspects of external partnerships. This individual must be able to effectively lead in a matrix environment and be able to influence broadly internally and externally.Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead scientific and technical development of drug delivery systems from concept to clinical testing, and ultimately to commercialization across MedImmune sites
- Manage and mentor leaders and develop people
- Drive the assessment, selection, prioritization and development of new technologies that meet the needs of R&D portfolio and therapeutic area strategies
- Develop and execute a technology strategy that is aligned with company business needs
- Provide scientific assessments of new technologies and make investment decisions in collaboration with key stakeholders
- Oversee development projects at external device partners; represent MedImmune on Executive Joint Steering Committees with key external partners
- Create, influence and guide CMC development strategies and plans
- Provide guidance and review regulatory documentation on IND/CTAs
- Stay abreast of and evaluate technology trends and maintain a strong network with external drug delivery companies
- Build strong relationships and partner with other senior leaders across functions in both MedImmune and AstraZeneca
- Broadly influence and educate senior leaders, MedImmune functional areas and product teams on the development of drug delivery systems; work with product teams to develop product-specific drug delivery strategies
- Establish solid partnerships with key interfaces in R&D areas, Biologics Process Development, Marketing and other groups
- Influence our projects and organization broadly through participation on the MEDI senior leadership teams, committees and councils
Ph.D. in chemical/mechanical engineering, materials science, biomedical engineering or related field plus 12+ (Director) or 15+ (Senior Director) years of experience researching and developing drug delivery systems for biologics.Requirements
- Candidate must have a strong background in biopharmaceuticals and a variety of drug delivery technologies, such as non-invasive systems, nanotechnology and novel formulations (e.g. sustained release)
- Candidate must be an established industry leader in drug delivery systems with a strong external presence, which includes patents and/or scientific publications, active participation and presentation at conferences, and a strong industry network
- Must have a strong, broad understanding of industry technology advancements and development challenges
- Experience in the CMC aspects of biopharmaceutical development
- Must have working knowledge of drug delivery technology uses/benefits, development challenges and risks, specifically with application to biopharmaceuticals
- Must have experience leading external activities and collaborations with partners
- Demonstrated ability to lead / influence cross-functionally and at a senior level within the organization, including direct experience working with senior leadership teams
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead professional staff and work in a collaborative team environment across multiple technical functions
- Excellent communication skills and strong interpersonal skills are essential
- Flexibility and ability to operate in a fast-paced environment
- Must be innovative and drive new ideas, but also have pragmatic approach to technology selection and development
Next Steps - Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law . AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.