Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind - making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa's sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.Job Description
The Senior Director, Public Policy Development (Technology & Innovation Policy) will provide critical insights and generate collateral for use by Visa Inc. executives on a range of public policy topics impacting Visa Inc. and the broader electronic payments industry, with a specific focus on the intersection of public policy and Visa's technology and innovation strategy. The Senior Director will also collaborate cross-functionally to develop Visa's public policy approaches to the evolving fintech environment, as well as cybersecurity and data management issues.
Visa is heavily focused on innovation in electronic payments, including supporting new and innovative products and platforms for our financial institution and merchant clients and an increasingly wide array of non-traditional partners. Complementing this evolving innovation agenda is our steadfast commitment to preserving the strongest approaches to security, in both traditional and cybersecurity environments, and to promoting the secure, free-flow of data in support of globally interoperability. These innovations naturally attract the interest of policymakers, regulators and other stakeholders.
The Senior Director will drive the development of Visa's public policy work on these key issues.
The Senior Director will work as part of a small but highly impactful group of senior thought leaders in Visa's Global Public Policy group, which has responsibility for proactively developing the company's official public policy positions; partnering with other corporate functions and geographic business leaders to drive business initiatives that address or align with significant global policy trends; delivering a comprehensive research agenda in support of Visa's increased interaction with government decision-makers; and developing a central repository of Visa and third-party research, regulatory submissions, and other relevant source material.
The Senior Director will be based in California at either Visa Inc's San Francisco or Foster City offices. He/she will report to the Group Lead, Global Public Policy and will work closely with the Senior Director, Public Policy Content.
- Develop and execute a work program, including research projects, thought leadership, issue monitoring, issue advisory/forecasting and internal strategy development, focused on the interaction of Visa's technology and innovation strategy and global public policy trends.
- Key topics will include payments/ financial services innovation, fintech, the regulation of fintech,
- Provide the company, the Group Lead and other business executives with advice arising from this work program.
- Write or commission public policy position papers and develop other practical tools on specific topics that are relevant to Visa's ongoing interaction with central bank and other government officials.
- Working with other senior members of the Global Public Policy group, engage in the wider research agenda of the group. Ensure the innovation/cybersecurity public policy research agenda is consistent with Visa's overall public policy content work program.
- Coordinate with other internal functions at Visa including, but not limited to, Government Relations, Product (Innovation, Digital), Technology,
- Legal, Corporate Strategy, the Chief Economist, Visa Business and Economic Insights, Risk, the Privacy Office, and Corporate Communications to ensure consistency of corporate positions and decisions across all parts of the organization.
- Working in and managing Visa's role in multi-stakeholder environments, including consultation processes. These may include engaging with both internal and external stakeholders on public policy issues related to this work program, such as through organizations like the World Economic Forum, among others.
- Support local and regional business executives and government relations professionals with specific requests for information, industry data and background information received from central bank and other government officials.
- Ensure proper coordination and leveraging of research material developed by other functions and other regions of the company.
- 12+ years of relevant industry experience with 6+ years of work in roles focused on innovation, technology, fintech, cybersecurity and/or data management in either a public policy, government relations, commercial, legal or regulatory capacity.
- Experience in the payments and/or financial services fields, either in a commercial, legal or regulatory capacity. If no direct payments and/or financial services experience, then strong exposure to public policy issues in the broader technology sector.
- Strong experience in public policy and/or government affairs arena, including exposure to the US and international policy-making environment.
- Advanced academic degree preferred.
- Strong research skills and experience including superior analytical capabilities.
- High degree of leadership, independent negotiation and decision-making skills.
- Strong relationship building skills and business savvy.
- Collaborative working style, solicits buy-in and commitment from colleagues and stakeholders.
- Committed to working in and encouraging a diverse and inclusive work environment and team culture.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships and consensus with a variety of constituencies both inside and outside the organization.
- Leads by example and is able to generate respect and loyalty from peers, superiors and subordinates.
- The ability to persuasively present complex concepts and programs at the highest levels of government and business.
- Outstanding inter-personal, presentation, and communications skills.
- Ability to work across multiple time zones, countries, and cultures.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
As a global company at the forefront of the electronic payments industry, Visa is a dynamic organization.