Blizzard Entertainment has served as a fundamental force in competitive gaming for over 20 years. With our esports initiatives continuing to expand, evolve, and reach new audiences, we have an immediate opening for an experienced senior editor who is as excited about the amazing competition taking place in Blizzard games as we are.
As a senior editor on our esports communications team, you will be responsible for ensuring that our esports-related content is engaging, timely, accurate, and tailored for its intended audience, and that it reflects Blizzard's overall communications standards. You'll be working with a diverse group of collaborators and stakeholders from various departments within Blizzard, as well as with third parties, so in addition to being highly organized, self-motivated, and detail-oriented, you should be articulate, diplomatic, and a people-person.
If you are a seasoned and knowledgeable communications expert with substantial online-media experience, a passion for all things esports, and you want to join a company that's all fun and games even when the pressure's on, then we can't wait to meet you. Responsibilities
- Coordinate, develop, and finalize internal and third-party contributions, including supervising the work of both team members and external freelancers.
- Facilitate the creation of Blizzard's competitive-gaming multimedia web output, ranging from timely esports event coverage to feature articles to graphics-oriented micro-content.
- Partner with teams locally and globally, including esports, development, web, community, marketing, and PR, to understand and support campaign initiatives and site-wide design, scheduling, and production needs.
- Develop content and messaging around Blizzard's esports initiatives, including developmental and copy editing as well as writing from scratch as needed.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of core esports web components, such as competition / broadcast schedules, profiles, blogs, and event updates.
- Concept and pitch style and site updates to keep the content fresh, effective, and engaging.
- Contribute to the creation of written, graphical, and video-based content that is highly engaging and optimized for its target audience - whether that be dedicated core esports fans or general online / mobile gamers - and seek creative ways to bridge between the two.
- Formulate and support high-impact content strategies themed around competition in Blizzard games, from StarCraft II global tournaments to local Hearthstone community get-togethers, as well as the noteworthy professional and amateur Blizzard gamers who play them.
- Track and report on content performance.
- Passion for games, particularly Blizzard games, esports, and / or traditional sports
- B.A. in a media-related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of 7 years' professional editorial experience on a publication, news- or entertainment-oriented web site, or communications team
- Experience delegating and tracking assignments, overseeing freelanced content, and preparing content for publication
- Excellent communications and grammatical skills, and experience developing, using, maintaining, and evangelizing an in-house style guide
- Capable of working effectively across team and regional boundaries and negotiating between conflicting objectives
- Exceptional time and project management discipline
- Deep familiarity with a range of communications tools, including references, content management systems, and MS Office
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Able to travel and work long hours and weekends as needed
Required Application Materials
- Previous game industry, sports journalism, marketing, or communications agency work experience
- Demonstrable knowledge of at least one Blizzard game's competitive meta and esports scene
- SEO experience
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered
A little about us:
Blizzard Entertainment is a premier developer/publisher of entertainment software, including World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Hearthstone.