Ethicon Endo- Surgery, Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Senior Electro-Mechanical Controls Engineer - Surgical Robotics, R&D, located in Cincinnati, OH.
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. Ethicon combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. Ground-floor position to help grow and build a new J&J business unit, enabling significant professional growth.
The Senior Electro-Mechanical Controls Engineer, R&D, will work with internal and external teams to develop and commercialize advanced, highly articulating surgical instruments to interface with a novel surgical robot. This individual must collaborate with internal and external customers, partners, and consultants to effectively communicate and deliver novel surgical instruments to market. Qualifications
A Bachelor’s Degree in Control Theory, Mechanical, Electrical, or Computer Engineering, or a related science/engineering degree is required (Advanced Degree is preferred). A minimum of 5 years of experience designing control systems and implementing controllers for electromechanical products, including working with servo mechanisms for position and force control, is required.
The following skills are key to success in this position:
- Solid foundation in control theory (stability analysis, frequency and time domain analysis, continuous- and discrete-time systems, state space analysis)
- Expertise in system characterization and identification of linear and nonlinear systems
- Deep understanding of electro-mechanical mechanism design (medical or surgical instruments is a plus)
- Experience with modeling tools such as Matlab/Simulink
- Background in robotics and motion control (preferred)
- Experience with multi-disciplinary engineering projects, including: integrating sensors into mechanical designs, specifying and integrating embedded software that complements mechanical design, modeling and specifying the dynamic properties of mechanical systems for controls development, etc.
- Excellent collaboration and teaming skills. This engineer will be expected to work with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design to Cost (DTC), and with engineering teams and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Building prototypes, products, and systems for testing. Setting up and running laboratory simulations and test fixtures. Evaluating the stability, reliability, and performance of control systems.
- Designing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports.
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, and designs for instruments, systems, and interfaces.
- Understanding of and experience with controlling robotic end-effectors, to include robustness analysis, calibration methods, performance evaluation, friction modeling, and the like.
- Demonstrated experience in definition, development, and commercialization of medical devices
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)Job Function
R&D Engineering (R&D)Requisition ID
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.