Primary Purpose of the Function
This position strengthens ATC’s ability to help rapidly commercialize new materials and manufacturing technologies for sheet forming. The scope of this role includes:
Major activities/Key challenges
- Strengthening the parental Arconic Technology Advantage (ATA) between the Arconic Technical Center and the Arconic business engaged in the Ground Transportation / Aerospace markets by translating business and customer forming needs into objectives for the research organization,
- Filling a gap in the Technical Partners group within the fields of forming and thermo-mechanical simulator for end product applications.
Essential Knowledge & Skills / Education
- Initiate and lead technology and product development projects with an emphasis on guiding the development of technology within the forming and Gleeble thermo-mechanical simulation space.
Develop and refine Arconic's technical competency in: 1) Various forming processes, including conventional stamping, warm/hot forming, leveling & blanking, and; 2) Formability testing methodology, including forming limits, hemming & bending tests, friction measurement, and elevated temperature tests; 3) FEA based forming simulation, including the science and engineering of forming processes and 4) Thermo-mechanical physical simulation, as it applies to warm and hot forming of sheet material; and 5) Development and understanding of forming and manufacturing methods to enable prototyping and production applications.
- Support forming trials at die shops, tier 1 suppliers and OEM stamping operations with Argus strain measurement and expert consultation.
- Leverage the manufacturing and product technology to plan and execute projects that lead to the commercialization of technologies within the ground transportation and aerospace markets.
- Build collaborative working relationships with the Arconic business units.
- Work collaboratively with ATC project teams and provide expert technical consultation in the field of formability evaluation and thermo-mechanical simulation.
- Act as a mentor to expand knowledge and capabilities of sheet forming and thermo-mechanical simulation.
- Identify and assess new and emerging technologies that present opportunities for or threats to Arconic’s business interests and execute projects to positively position Arconic.
- Provide support and consultation to customers in identifying appropriate forming methods, formability tests, forming simulations, friction measurements, and thermo-mechanical simulations.
- Lead the operation of the Product Manufacturing Technology forming laboratory.
- In depth knowledge of various forming processes and formability tests, including hot/warm forming, forming limit diagrams, hemming and friction testing.
- Fundamental understanding of stress and strain, applied mechanics, plasticity theory, and thermodynamics.
- Experience with simulating manufacturing processes with the finite element method.
- Familiarity with materials and product forms used within the ground transportation and aerospace markets.
- Practical experience with product manufacturing gained at industrial plant level.
- Strong skills in using Microsoft Office products Excel, Outlook, Power Point, and Word.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good time management and program management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Sound business acumen.
A little about us:
Arconic Inc. (NYSE: ARNC) creates breakthrough products that shape industries. Working in close partnership with our customers, we solve complex engineering challenges to transform the way we fly, drive, build and power. Through the ingenuity of our people and cutting-edge advanced manufacturing, we deliver these products at a quality and efficiency that ensures customer success and shareholder value.