Primary Purpose of the Function
This position strengthens ATC’s ability to help rapidly commercialize new materials and manufacturing technologies for sheet forming. The scope of this role includes:
Major activities/Key challenges
- Strengthening the parental Arconic Technology Advantage (ATA) between the Arconic Technical Center and the Arconic business engaged in the Ground Transportation / Aerospace markets by translating business and customer forming needs into objectives for the research organization,
- Filling a gap in the Technical Partners group within the fields of forming and thermo-mechanical simulator for end product applications.
Essential Knowledge & Skills / Education
- Initiate and lead technology and product development projects with an emphasis on guiding the development of technology within the forming and Gleeble thermo-mechanical simulation space.
Develop and refine Arconic's technical competency in: 1) Various forming processes, including conventional stamping, warm/hot forming, leveling & blanking, and; 2) Formability testing methodology, including forming limits, hemming & bending tests, friction measurement, and elevated temperature tests; 3) FEA based forming simulation, including the science and engineering of forming processes and 4) Thermo-mechanical physical simulation, as it applies to warm and hot forming of sheet material; and 5) Development and understanding of forming and manufacturing methods to enable prototyping and production applications.
- Support forming trials at die shops, tier 1 suppliers and OEM stamping operations with Argus strain measurement and expert consultation.
- Leverage the manufacturing and product technology to plan and execute projects that lead to the commercialization of technologies within the ground transportation and aerospace markets.
- Build collaborative working relationships with the Arconic business units.
- Work collaboratively with ATC project teams and provide expert technical consultation in the field of formability evaluation and thermo-mechanical simulation.
- Act as a mentor to expand knowledge and capabilities of sheet forming and thermo-mechanical simulation.
- Identify and assess new and emerging technologies that present opportunities for or threats to Arconic’s business interests and execute projects to positively position Arconic.
- Provide support and consultation to customers in identifying appropriate forming methods, formability tests, forming simulations, friction measurements, and thermo-mechanical simulations.
- Lead the operation of the Product Manufacturing Technology forming laboratory.
- In depth knowledge of various forming processes and formability tests, including hot/warm forming, forming limit diagrams, hemming and friction testing.
- Fundamental understanding of stress and strain, applied mechanics, plasticity theory, and thermodynamics.
- Experience with simulating manufacturing processes with the finite element method.
- Familiarity with materials and product forms used within the ground transportation and aerospace markets.
- Practical experience with product manufacturing gained at industrial plant level.
- Strong skills in using Microsoft Office products Excel, Outlook, Power Point, and Word.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good time management and program management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Sound business acumen.
A little about us:
Alcoa is a global leader in lightweight metals technology, engineering and manufacturing, innovating multi-material solutions that advance our world.