The Senior Logistics Engineer is responsible for preparing analyses to support and implement projects involving all aspects of warehousing. This includes detailed analysis to determine optimal warehouse design, definition of functional requirements, material handling equipment applications, work measurement and labor standards, incentive systems, data analysis, slotting, operations planning and operations improvements for both new and existing operations. Major Responsibilities:
Qualifications: Software Skills
- Prepare and update engineered labor standards to represent preferred methods established for warehouse positions.
- Maintain all aspects of the labor management system.
- Monitor labor management system to ensure system performance and data integrity.
- Ensure appropriate levels of training compliance with proper work methods by employees to perform tasks.
- Work with site manager to develop strategies for continuous improvement operations.
- Ensure facility design and racking layouts support optimal operations, and make recommendations for improvement.
- Oversee implementation of process change, develop metrics to evaluate that the process is being followed and that it brings value to the organization, analyze the distribution processes and identify areas of opportunity for improvement, develop new methods/tools to improve the processes.
- Document and resolve quality issues and determine cause and effect items within distribution processes.
- Document and resolve safety issues and determine cause and effect items within distribution processes. Actively participate in the facility safety team.
- Develop metrics that must be monitored to ensure organizational compliance with processes for quality and productivity and ensure that appropriate action plans are developed to bring out of compliance areas back into a proper process.
- Develop and provide instructional classes/presentations to associates at all levels in labor standards applications and in process changes.
- Audit incentive programs for accuracy of measurement.
- Assist in developing annual expense and capital budgets for the Distribution Center. Evaluate, document, and develop ROI on capital requests.
- Lead cost saving project initiatives in the D.C. Develop appropriate project plans, and lead cross functional teams to project completion.
- Performs SKU analysis to determine slotting and Material Handling Equipment (MHE) requirements.
- Performs inventory and cubing analysis to determine warehouse space requirements.
- Prepares facility layout and design to maximize efficiency. Maintains the facility AutoCAD drawings
- Creates and maintains flow diagrams for warehouse processes.
- Develops functional specifications for WMS/LMS requirements.
- Establishes effective relationships with the customer and gains their trust and respect.
- Anticipated travel requirement-50%
- Take on other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Must be proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, Project, and Visio) as well as Minitab.
- Demonstrate proficiency with warehouse and labor management systems, JDA/Red Prairie and/or Manhattan preferred.
- Must be able to effectively use a variety of time study and data collection tools.
- Must be able to effectively use AutoCAD.
- Exposure to product slotting software.
- Exposure to or use of simulation software (FlexSim preferred)
- Ability to use SQL query tools to extract data for analysis.
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Engineering. Master's Degree preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 3 to 5 years of Industrial Engineering or logistics/supply chain experience, preferred with consultant or a third party logistics organization or other comparable experience.
- Must have a thorough understanding of warehousing concepts and familiarity with equipment/warehouse planning.
- Must have working knowledge of warehouse value added services (i.e., kitting, sequencing and light sub-assembly).
- Thorough knowledge of material handling equipment systems and applications.
- Experience in developing customer proposals and presentations.
- Green or Black Belt certification a plus.
- Excellent analytical/problem solving capabilities
- Excellent presentation skills
- Must demonstrate strong written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills, particularly when problems arise that may affect solution outcome and/or project schedule.
- Customer orientation
- Team player
- Must be able to work independently and concurrently on a wide range of unstructured tasks/projects and properly prioritize work, all with limited supervision or direction
- Time management and multi-tasking skills
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit http://www.penskelogistics.com/ to learn more.
A little about us:
Penske Truck Leasing and Penske Logistics proudly recruits and hires veterans nationwide. We’re annually listed on the Victory Media Top 100 Military-Friendly Employer list (they publish G.I. Jobs and Military Spouse magazines). Last year, 13 percent of new hires were veterans. The company is actively hiring truck drivers, truck maintenance and logistics operations personnel. We are a leading global transportation services provider, offering full-service truck leasing, contract maintenance, commercial and consumer truck rentals, used truck sales, transportation and warehousing management and supply chain management solutions.