Senior Environmental Engineer
Monsanto Company is a leading global provider of technology based solutions and agricultural products that improve farm productivity and food quality. Our Soda Springs, Idaho plant, a leading producer of elemental phosphorus, is seeking a qualified, highly-motivated individual for a Senior Environmental Engineer position. In this exciting and challenging role, this individual will provide environmental engineering and regulatory support for a manufacturing plant; including support for new processes, process modifications, plant experiments and environmental treatment/control projects. This requires understanding State and Federal environmental regulations, assessing and communicating the implication of those regulations to Operations and other personnel, and working with those impacted personnel to develop and implement cost-effective compliance solutions.
Monsanto provides employees with competitive wages and a complete package of benefits, which includes: a 401(k) plan, medical and life insurance, dental and vision insurance, health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, adoption assistance and other work/life resources. Scope / Specific Responsibilities of the Position:
- Develop and maintain comprehensive knowledge of existing and proposed Federal, State and Local environmental legislation and regulations; including RCRA, HSWA, CERCLA, NEPA, EPCRA/SARA, OPA, TSCA, SDWA, CAA and CWA.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of plant operations, attend project reviews and review management of change efforts for assigned manufacturing area(s) to determine environmental impact.
- Read and interpret regulations to communicate and assist in applying those requirements to plant operations.
- Anticipate new regulations and take appropriate actions to minimize their impact through implementation of cost-effective solutions.
- Serve as a liaison between the Soda Springs plant and regulatory agencies, trade organizations, ENGO's and the public.
- Accurately apply environmental engineering principles; and define and implement engineering solutions to environmental challenges.
- Maintain and continuously improve plant compliance management systems.
- Accurately prepare permit applications in a way that provides maximum flexibility in plant operations.
- Complete accurate engineering calculations to support various environmental reporting obligations and for permit applications.
- Assist in training plant employees to comply with regulations and corporate environmental guidelines; and to understand potential compliance issues.
- Conduct internal ESH inspections/audits and participate in incident analyses.
- Act as lead person and/or technical expert on medium to large environmental projects.
- B.S. in Chemical or Environmental Engineering, or related engineering degree
- Minimum of 7+years of related experience in a chemical/manufacturing facility.
- Broad-based technical or specialized knowledge working with multiple media (air, water, waste); and managing complex environmental projects.
- Keyboarding skills and the ability to productively use Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, strong problem solving skills, the ability to read and interpret complex environmental regulations and the integrity to assure compliance.
- Strong personal initiative; ability to work independently, gather relevant information and make decisions with little supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships; strong team-building skills both internally and externally.
- Must be flexible and able to react quickly and effectively to changing job demands.
- B.S. in Chemical or Environmental Engineering at least 10 years of related experience in a chemical/manufacturing facility; or M.S. with at least 5 to 7 years of related experience.
- Demonstrated skills in time management and managing multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated decision making skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead through influence in a broad range of situations.
- Experience with Responsible Care Management Systems (RC14001/RCMS) and ISO9001 Quality Management Systems.
- Previous experience establishing cooperative, working relationships with regulatory personnel.
Monsanto is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse combination of ideas, perspectives and cultures. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.