At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Senior Global Medical Academy Leader
in Gaithersburg, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. GPPS
(Global Product and Portfolio Strategy) bridges science and commercial, integrating corporate, portfolio, therapy areas and product strategies, providing strategic direction from early-stage research through to commercialization.
AstraZeneca's strategy in CVMD
focuses on ways to reduce morbidity, mortality and organ damage by addressing multiple risk factors across cardiovascular (CV) disease, diabetes and chronic kidney-disease indications. The patient-centric approach is reinforced by science-led life-cycle management programs and technologies, including early research into regenerative methods.Main Duties and Responsibilities
As the Senior Global Medical Academy Leader, you will oversee the Therapy Area (TA), understand the broader picture in the therapy area and be able to evaluate the company strategy and priorities in different disease areas within the TA; keep both the Head of the Medical Academy and the VP Global Medical Excellence up-to-date about company strategy, plans and priorities in his/her therapy area; support the Head of the Medical Academy in defining and executing the long term strategy and plans about Medical Academy; oversee and coordinate the Medical Academy budget in his/her TA.
Additionally as the Senior Global Medical Academy Leader, you are accountable for ensuring timely access and delivery of scientific content knowledge, to strengthen Medical's scientific leadership; you are responsible for development and maintenance of the AZ Medical Academy for his/her designated TA and product(s). As Senior Global Medical Academy Leader, you will report to the Senior Director, Head of Global Medical Academy and work in close collaboration with medical roles across the organization.
As Senior Global Medical Academy Leader, you will partner with Global Medical Affairs Leads (MAL) and Global Medical Affairs (GMA) TAVPs to understand the current medical content and training needs for prioritized brands. Through partnerships with TAVPs, MALs and Global Medical Excellence Leaders, the Senior Global Medical Academy Leader will set the strategic direction for how to use scientific content, data, and skills effectively with key opinion leaders and other key customers. As Senior Global Medical Academy Leader, you will engage content experts across the organization to design the training curricula and implement programs to increase knowledge and skills in Medical.
As Senior Global Medical Academy Leader you will also partner with Medical in the markets to assess gaps in knowledge, content, and skills. You will also work with Medical in the Key Markets to ensure the Academy deliverables are fulfilling prioritized needs.
For a designated product (s) and therapy area, as Senior Global Medical Academy Leader, you will have the responsibility for the development and oversight of the Medical Academy Platform which is an on-line portal that will deliver engaging and innovative e-learning modules and training globally.
Additional responsibilities of the Senior Global Medical Academy Leader will include partnering with Global Medical Brand roles (MALs and TAVPs) on prioritized brands to address the need for scientific content development; leading the assessment of knowledge gaps and identifying scientific training needs; leading the development of new scientific content to meet the changing knowledge and capability requirements of medical personal and especially customer-facing roles in Medical; proactively communicating with Global Medical Information and key country medical leads, ensuring awareness of what scientific content is currently available and what is anticipated; creating and maintaining scientific content and training programs for Medical Academy virtual portal which provides training on TA knowledge, disease states, patients journeys, competitive landscapes, clinical data from within AZ, brand strategies, etc.; identifying, managing and collaborating with outsource providers for development of new content material and training (slide decks, innovative training programs, etc.); identifying, commissioning and managing external KOL experts to deliver relevant training events; partnering with Global Medical Excellent roles to ensure role-based capability training is available on the Medical Academy; creating and maintaining in-person training plan and roll-out to markets; engaging the learner through innovative e-learning techniques and utilizing adult learn principles to create, update, and maintain Medical Academy interface and trainings; tracking progress of Medical Academy against agreed targets using previously defined KPIs; ensuring compliance with global guidelines and policies, processes and procedures; ensuring implementation of quality assurance procedures for Medical Academy; responsibility for review and approval of material prior to posting on Academy; delivering high performance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Medical Academy by improving on benchmarks, best practices and SOPs related to scientific content, data, and skills; continuing to build skills and awareness of the latest virtual learning techniques and implementing as appropriate for the Medical Academy platform.Essential Requirements
Next Steps - Apply today!
- Advanced degree in scientific discipline or applicable health sciences field (e.g., PharmD, PhD, MD)
- Significant pharmaceutical or related medical experience including global functions Demonstrated experience in drug information and knowledge of applicable regulations
- Experience in creating and implementing training programs
- Understanding of adult education learning principles and how to engage learner through innovative e-learning techniques
- Demonstrated leadership experience in a team based organization (> 5 years)
- Demonstrated experience in developing and executing medical strategy and medical plans in Cardiovascular & Metabolic Diseases area
- Demonstrated experience in managing budget
- Demonstrated project management experience with a proven record of driving impact
- Experience in developing new services & programs
- Ability to think strategically and deliver long range plans that are aligned with broader organizational objectives
- Demonstrated ability to set and manage priorities, resources, performance targets and project initiatives in a global and regional environment
- In-depth working knowledge of customer-facing Medical Affairs functions, preferably with prior In-Country, Regional or Global experience
- Proven expertise in scientific content, with relevant scientific or TA focused background and experience within relevant TA including:
- An ability to identify content training gaps within relevant material
- An ability to fill identified gaps with relevant trainings or educational materials
- Expertise in training programs relevant to Medical Affairs within the markets with proven ability to create and deliver on trainings that address identified gaps
- An ability to effectively manage and update the technical aspects of the Medical Academy interface, including video trainings, in-person training logistics, and other scientific content
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent organizational skills, interpersonal skills, conflict management
- Facilitation, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills in a variety of formats (such as seminars, workshops, web-based training or podcasts) with a proven ability in verbal and written English
- Strong ability to effectively collaborate with various roles across Medical in the markets
- Strong ability to prepare budget proposals and to effectively manage budgets
- High ethical standards
- Understanding of the global guidance for provision of Medical services
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.