No, this isn't one of those ordinary jobs.
Cummins is a team of dependable, innovative thinkers, who are empowered to generate and deliver solutions for customers, community, and environment. Our employees develop their careers through the challenges only a diverse, global innovator can promise. This is a collaborative culture where thinking beyond your desk is more than part of the job. It is the job.
This is what we call Working Right.
Typical Duties and Tasks:
• Monitors and complies with legislative and regulatory issues that may impact the business in the U.S., country of assignment, or an international region. Supports the government relations team with research, document drafting, and project management.
Monitors and complies with legislative, regulatory, trade, and public affairs issues in the U.S. , country of assignment, or international region; undertakes special research projects as requested by the Manager or Director; prepares white papers and other documentation of current legislative and regulatory issues that may impact the business.
• Drafts summaries of new laws, regulations, and interpretations; distributes summaries and new laws, regulations and interpretations to Manager and/or Director; prepares documentation of pending and new legislation and regulations for presentation to business leaders.
• Prepares draft responses for governmental departments and legislative staffs that clarify the organization's position on proposed legislation or regulations.
• Manages special projects including leader and employee education activities, legislative information sessions, and other related events and activities; builds and maintains relationships with vendors that support special projects; manages financial activities surrounding government relations including invoice processing and reconciliation, tax reporting, and government reporting.
• Drafts reports and filings for political action committees and lobbying efforts.
• Develops relationships with lobbyists and special interest groups for relevant industries, employee populations, and locations.
• Develops and maintains a good understanding of government operations and lobbying practices and focus; develops and maintains government contacts that will benefit the organization's business and community goals; develops and maintains contacts in states and localities with large Cummins' presence; works with other functions to ensure that legislators and staffers are included in appropriate events and activities.
• Develops and maintains strong internal contacts across all functions and business units; develops and maintains a strong understanding of the business and business issues within the U. S. , country of assignment, or international region at all levels of government.
• Acts as a super user for all relevant technologies; ensures that logs and databases are up-to-date; generates complex reports for use by management.
• Complies with all laws, regulations, and ethical concerns within area of jurisdiction and broadly across the organization.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
• College, university, or equivalent degree required.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Manage Cummins Inc. Political Action Committee (CIPAC) and ensure compliance with federal and state legal requirements, Company policy and PAC By-Laws. Leads recruitment campaigns and communication efforts related to the PAC and its' activities; including management of websites and blog entries related to government affairs activity.
• Perform administrative tasks necessary for efficient operation of the government relations office.
• Political Acumen
• Understanding of Legislative Process, Government Compliance
• Experience with Advocacy Communications
• Public Policy Position Development Knowledge
• Experience with Strategic Contact Management Legislative Research
• Experience with Coalition Building
• Great Communication Skills - Written and Verbal
• Ability to Develop Systems and Processes.
Cummins and E-verify:
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law.
Cummins uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
A little about us:
No, this isn't one of those ordinary jobs.