The Global Strategic Design Office is recruiting for a Senior Industrial Designer located in New York City, NY.
The Global Strategic Design Office (GSDO) is an internal design team responsible for creating desirable, feasible and viable holistic end-user solutions across all of Johnson & Johnson’s business groups: Consumer, Pharma and Medical Devices. In collaboration with business partners across the global organization, we apply design thinking to drive transformational innovation for the health and well-being of all who use our products and services. Our focus on people-centered design enables us to deliver on Johnson & Johnson’s commitment to care for the world, one person at a time.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Senior Industrial Designer is a creative leader who will drive the development and execution of design solutions across J&J’s sectors, brands and products. In this role, you will collaborate with cross-functional, multidisciplinary teams, contributing your expertise in industrial design, 3D visualization, prototyping, and usability to create exceptional user experiences.
As Senior Industrial Designer, you will contribute to the organization in the following ways:
- You will draw upon your skills in design, usability, and research translation to establish user-centered design intent.
- You will apply data-driven insights to produce differentiated and innovative design solutions.
- You will create structural design concepts and prototypes based on design briefs and cross-functional team inputs.
- Your experience with product development for consumer products and/or medical device design will support solutions that extend the user experience and interface beyond hardware by linking a consumer or health care product to a holistic, people-centered solution.
- You will apply design thinking and bring a consumer experience mindset to the development of product solutions for health care.
- In this role, you will work independently as well as collaborate effectively in a team environment led by a Design Manager or Design Director.
- You will be an active participant on cross-functional project teams, developing and maintaining business partner relationships with stakeholder groups within J&J, including Engineering, Supply Chain/Manufacturing, Regulatory, R&D, Design Strategy, Design Research and Marketing, supporting projects from concept through to implementation.
- To improve workflows, you will proactively seek out ways to enhance design processes as you work effectively within J&J’s critical design control, regulatory and compliance practices.
- You will support a people-centered design process that considers and evaluates human factors.
- You will utilize knowledge of cultural trends to design for global markets.
- With a high level of design and attention to detail, you will use your experience translating data into design intent for product solutions.
- You will advocate, drive, and execute environmentally sustainable solutions.
- You will coordinate workflows among internal team members and help manage external vendors, consultants and agencies to deliver creative outcomes that enhance the overall user experience.
- You will be a key contributor to the creative execution of multiple, concurrent projects with critical deadlines. You will manage and mentor more junior roles.
- Finally, you will lead by example and in accordance with the J&J Credo and J&J Leadership Imperatives.
- A minimum of 6 years of professional design experience in consumer products/electronics, and/or pharmaceuticals and medical device design is required.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design is required.
- Ability to sketch to communicate design intent is required.
- Fluency in 3D modeling software (Solidworks required) and 3D rendering software (Keyshot preferred) is required.
- Proficiency in other relevant design software (e.g., Adobe Suite).
- Understand prototyping methods and the ability to create hands-on prototypes is required.
- Possess solid understanding of manufacturing methods and materials, including blow molding and injection molding processes.
- Experience developing electronic, screen-based devices that incorporate a GUI is a plus.
- Understanding of and experience working within collaborative, cross-functional teams.
- Possess strong organizational, time management, visual, written, and oral communication/presentation skills. Available to travel up to 25% domestically with potential for international travel.
- Portfolio link MUST be included on each resume.
BE VITAL in your career. Be seen for the talent you bring to your work. Explore opportunities within the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies.
J & J Consumer Inc. (6101)