Shire's Global Internal Audit (GIA) function plays a valuable role in protecting and enhancing the organization's value by providing risk-based and objective assurance, advice and insights. The function is guided by a disciplined, collaborative approach that is aligned with Shire's strategy and the IIA standards with a focus on constant innovation and talent development.
Reporting to the Internal Audit Manager, the Senior Internal Auditor will participate in the execution of financial, operational and compliance audits, both domestic and abroad to evaluate the control environment at Shire. The Senior Internal Auditor will also plan and execute SOX testing of key financial cycles and provide support for other department activities and initiatives as required.
Given the extent of the department's interactions with the business and other functions, excellent communication and relationship building skills are required together with the ability to deal with ambiguity and exercise critical thinking to effectively influence business management and peers while acting as a catalyst for positive change. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing your career. Essential Functions Responsibilities
- Audit Planning, Execution & Reporting (~60%)
- Assist the GIA management team in in performing all aspects (planning, fieldwork, reporting) of internal audits of an assigned location, function or 3rd party with the objective of identifying risks and evaluating the effectiveness of internal controls across multiple control domains (financial, operational, compliance, IT, etc.). In addition, assess the efficiency of operations and compliance with corporate policies and procedures and laws and regulations by developing and executing complex audit work programs. Provide management with valuable recommendations and insights to strengthen the control environment.
- SOX (~25%)
- Independently plan and execute SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404) testing of key financial cycles and overseeing internal and external resources as necessary.
- Coordinate work as necessary with our external financial auditors.
- Assist in key departmental process improvement initiatives including internal quality assurance; assist with audit issue trend analysis and reporting.
- Assist in special projects including providing controls consulting expertise to the business.
- Assist with preparation of quarterly Audit Committee presentations.
Maintain the highest standards of professionalism and independence in the execution of duties. Education & Experience Requirements Essential:
- Typically 3 or more years of progressive audit experience required (internal audit and / or public accounting)
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
Key Skills and Competencies
- Big 4 experience
- CIA or CPA (or equivalent certification)
- Experience with the requirements of Section 404 of the Sarbanes Oxley Act
- International work experience
- Pharmaceutical industry experience, including auditing business integrity compliance (e.g. anti-bribery)
- 3rd party (e.g. distributors, suppliers) audit experience is a plus
- Experience in data analytics
- Knowledge of SAP
- Living our leadership behaviors is a fundamental expectation for all Shire employees. Shire expects all employees to embody the following Leadership Behaviors:
- Be Positive
- Be Accountable
- Be Results Oriented
- Be An Excellent Manager of Self and Others
Other Job Components Complexity and Problem Solving
- Driven individual with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong ability to develop and foster positive working relationships with business and corporate staff from various cultures
- Excellent written communication skills including the ability to summarize audit issues, risks, insights and recommendations
- Highly proficient in understanding processes, risks and controls across multiple disciplines (financial, operational, compliance, IT, etc.)
- Strong organizational and project management skills with a proven ability to think strategically, work independently and deliver on complex projects
- Strong data analysis skills
- Ability to effectively manage ambiguity
- Proven ability to deliver quality deliverables on multiple audit projects or work streams simultaneously
- Foreign language skills are a plus
The ability to critically analyze complex risks and issues identified in audits or other engagements and determine the significance and impact in order to provide valuable insights that will enhance the control environment. Using cumulative knowledge, experience and research to implement best practices within the department. Internal and External Contacts
This position liaises on a regular basis with senior line and corporate managers anywhere in the world Shire operates, providing proactive counsel, insights and advice on risk and control matters. There are also interactions with 3rd party vendor management as part of audits. Significant coordination can also occur with co-source audit providers and their personnel worldwide as well as with our external auditors. Other Requirements
Willing to travel up to 30%, domestically and internationally to anywhere Shire has operations, including where distribution partners and other third parties act on our behalf. International travel is usually limited in duration to two weeks per assignment.
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.