• Advanced degree in chemical, mechanical or biomedical engineering, biochemistry, physics, applied mathematics, bioinformatics, scientific computing or related field
• Previous experience in applying mechanism based mathematical modeling techniques in the pharmaceutical industry (e.g. PBPK or QSP or QST modeling)
• Core competency in numerical analysis focusing on differential equations
• Knowledge and understanding of drug delivery, absorption, distribution and metabolism, pharmacology and toxicology, PK/PD modeling, physiological based modeling and translational sciences
• Experience of building, solving and using mathematical models to integrate available data and applying these to answer practical questions that have a positive impact on projects
• Scientific computing and programming particularly Matlab and SimBiology
• Experience of using at least one physiological based modeling software package e.g. GastroPlus or Simcyp
• Evidence of identifying, developing, and applying innovative solutions to scientific and technological problems faced in systems modeling
• Evidence of strong critical thinking skills, troubleshooting and problem solving skills
• Demonstrated collaborative behaviors both within the computational community and with the modeling customers in pharma
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with scientists in other disciplines with a positive, collegial, collaborative attitude
• Successfully leading in a matrix environment, working across functions/disciplines
• Evidence of developing self and others
• PhD degree strongly preferred
• Experience in one of: finite element, computational fluid dynamics, numerical optimization, agent based modeling, stochastic differential equations, advanced image analysis
• Knowledge and understanding of systems biology, data analysis, image analysis and computational sciences
* This position can be located in either US or UK
The Systems Modeling and Translational Biology (SMTB) department is seeking a Mechanistic PBPK/PD Modeler passionate about using mechanistic modeling to integrate ADME data into PBPK models that can be linked with systems pharmacology to understand safety and efficacy in a "predict-first" culture. Applicants must have a desire to drive model based drug design and development in support of programmes and projects.
This Mechanistic PBPK/PD Modeler role involves developing PBPK/QSP/QST models and using them to influence critical decisions in drug discovery and development, from target selection to the identification of the best modality and delivery route to engage the target to the optimal dose selection including inputs into clinical trial design.
Working in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment the successful candidate will develop, calibrate and use complex QSP/QST models connected with PBPK models linking drug disposition and target biology with clinical outcomes for various diseases.
This position is an exciting opportunity to make a difference in the lives of patients by applying mechanism based mathematical modeling coupled with computational science and biological knowledge to drug discovery and development.
The Systems Modeling and Translational Biology group uses mathematical modeling and simulation to address the relationships between drug properties, its disposition and the pharmacological and toxicological response translating between in-vitro, in-vivo preclinical species and human. This involves the integration and interpretation of data from many sources to help drive project decisions.
• Responsible for providing appropriate modeling support to assigned Drug Performance Units (DPU)/Therapeutic Areas (TA)/Platform Technology and Science (PTS) line and peer review modeling work from colleagues as appropriate, insuring high quality standards for the modeling work
• Further develop unique expert modeling skills. Provide expert modeling consultancy, training and support to others in your unique areas of expertise
• Develop and execute a modeling strategy for each DPU/TA/PTS line assigned insuring availability of appropriate modeling capability
• Build, expand and refine the modeling capabilities and platforms of SMTB
• Promote and increase the reputation of the modeling both internally within R&D and externally including regulatory agencies
• Aid the interpretation of the data we generate and integrate it with that of clinical and pre-clinical partners to help project decisions
• Use modeling as a thinking tool to help generate better hypothesis and design better, model informed experiments
• Provide consultancy and training resource to increase the overall kinetic thinking and modeling capability of staff both within the department and outside in PTS and R&D
•Collaborative behaviours to build and maintain relationships with both R&D customers as well as the wider modeling community. Please indicate within your cover letter if you are confirmed as displaced (or potentially displaced) and at risk of redundancy.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
* LI GSK*
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
A little about us:
We are a science-led global healthcare company on a mission to help people to do more, feel better and live longer.