At MetLife, we're leading the global transformation of an industry we've long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we're dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. Once separated, the new business will be called Brighthouse Financial.
Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers' lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company's mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable. Job Location
United States : New York : New York Alternate Job Location
Not Applicable : Not Applicable Summary of Responsibilities
The Insurance Regulatory Legal Assistant role is a new position being created in preparation for the planned separation. The Insurance Regulatory Legal Assistant will generally support Insurance Regulatory Counsel and General Corporate attorneys, as required, on a broad range of insurance regulatory and general corporate matters, including those relating to annual and periodic insurance holding company filings, disclosures in statutory financial statements, inquiries from insurance regulators in connection with periodic exams and filings, maintenance of insurance regulation database, and assisting with general corporate work and special projects relating to insurance regulatory matters. Principal Responsibilities
Supervisory ResponsibilitiesTravelRequired Qualifications
- Provide assistance in connection with Insurance Holding Company Act compliance (such as extraordinary dividend applications, annual insurance holding company registration statements, enterprise risk reporting, affiliate transaction prior notice requirements and change of control filings in the insurance M&A context).
- Poll relevant attorneys to obtain necessary information for, and prepare drafts of, annual insurance company filings; and coordinate discussion with relevant attorneys and financial contacts to finalize and validate disclosures.
- Poll relevant attorneys to update selected footnotes and interrogatories included in the statutory financial statements (quarterly and annual) of our domestic life insurance companies.
- Perform due diligence/prepare initial responses respecting inquiries from domestic insurance regulators in connection with periodic examinations and otherwise and, in particular, relating to inter-affiliate agreements.
- Prepare charts and tables concerning the enterprise organizational structure and categorization of entities for annual supervisory college.
- Prepare periodic reports for domestic regulators and third parties relating to our insurance captives.
- Maintain new insurance regulatory database for insurance regulatory filings and inter-affiliate agreements for our domestic insurers.
- Coordinate a broad array of general corporate work relating to insurance regulatory matters, including Secretary of State business qualifications, corporate name changes and reservations, good standing certifications, and joinders to, and terminations of, enterprise inter-affiliate agreements.
- Support attorneys with insurance-related special projects, including any third party acquisitions, internal mergers, restackings, redomestications and associated project management activities.
- Perform other duties appropriate to the role or as required or necessary.
- College degree and paralegal certification.
- 5+ years experience.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Able to work independently; exercises good judgment in determining when to consult attorneys, management, colleagues, and clients.
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple assignments and prioritize.
- Strong legal research, analytical, and problem-solving skills and proficiency in using computers and software, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Insurance regulation.
- Dedication to excellence and working in a spirit of partnership and collegiality.
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial mindset.
- Flexible and willing to learn new skills.
- Enjoys challenging assignments.
- Willingness to receive coaching and mentoring.
- In order to post for this position, you need the proper work authorization to work in the country where the position is located and not require relocation assistance.
Brighthouse Financial Department
Public Company Unit Job Category
Legal Affairs Number of Openings
A little about us:
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.