NYC 299 Park Avenue (22957), United States of America, New York, New York
Senior Legal Specialist - Bank Litigation & Special Assets
The Bank Litigation and Special Assets Group of the Legal Department is seeking an individual experienced in litigation and commercial loan workouts to assist in managing litigation and workout matters involving Capital One Bank. The position will report to an Associate General Counsel and will involve interaction with internal business associates, internal and outside legal counsel, as well as customers and/or opposing counsel.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Supporting internal legal counsel with managing a wide range of bank litigation matters. Independent ownership and autonomy over litigation and subpoena matters and a strategic partner on higher risk litigation matters. Reviewing, analyzing, summarizing and assessing incoming complaints and subpoenas and managing applicable deadlines and responses. Independently gathering internal documents and information and leading discovery efforts. Drafting and/or reviewing stipulations, memoranda and other documents, negotiating with opposing parties and/or their counsel and providing recommendations to internal counsel.
- Supporting internal legal counsel in developing workout and bankruptcy strategies. Reviewing, analyzing, summarizing, and interpreting credit agreements, intercreditor agreements, mortgages, guarantees and other loan documents. Preparing and reviewing draft legal letters (acceleration, demand, reservation of rights, waiver, notice), agreements (forbearance, amendments), and other legal documents related to workout of special asset credits. Analyzing Uniform Commercial Code (“UCC”) searches to determine the bank’s security position.
- Maintenance of litigation and workout case files and status.
- Working with legal counsel and/or business clients to improve existing business practices and procedures.
- Managing projects and process improvements.
- Legal and other research.
The successful candidate will have:
- Thorough understanding of litigation and subpoena pleadings and procedures and discovery with ability to draft related memoranda and review pleadings.
- Knowledge of Chapter 11 bankruptcy and loan workout processes. Familiarity with structured finance loan documents and an ability to analyze and interpret loan documents as well as draft demand, default, and reservation of rights letters and standard extensions and modifications of notes and loan agreements. Working knowledge of how to obtain and retain a perfected security interest in collateral under the UCC.
- Ability to work quickly in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines and short turnaround time. Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and manage multiple, simultaneous deadlines with ownership and attention to detail.
- Solid written and oral communication skills with the ability to persuade others to action. Experience negotiating with adversaries or similar transferable skills.
- Solid research skills, including ability to perform basic legal research on Westlaw and Lexis.
- Process management and project management skills.
- Ability to work effectively on teams and independently, with limited direction on complex tasks.
• At least 2 years of legal experience OR at least 2 years of compliance experience
• Bachelor’s Degree OR military experience
• 2 years of experience in bank-related litigation or bank workout or 2 years of experience in bank-related commercial transactional work
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
A little about us:
Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, Capital One® offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers.