Individuals in the Infrastructure Engineering role are responsible for executing the strategy set by architecture. They are responsible for designing, building, testing, implementing, maintaining and optimizing the infrastructure and operations (Infrastructure), in accordance with security policies and guidelines. Infrastructure Engineers typically spans: server platforms, middleware infrastructure, networking, client technology and storage systems. Additional functions and processes include service and product management, performance and capacity management, patching and version management, and Level 3 operations support.
Some individuals in this role design and build the systems operating environment to meet business requirements. They monitor and optimize the performance of operating systems and applications such as Linux, Web, Messaging and Collaboration, Unix, Windows, and LAN/WAN. They are also responsible for the design and implementation of the network, telecommunications, desktop and mobility systems. They diagnose system failures and take corrective action in order to ensure continuity of operations.
Members in this role need good communication skills and must be able to work collaboratively with system users and other technical colleagues. Individuals coordinate and work on multiple cross-functional initiatives/work groups and projects as a team member, sometimes as a team lead or advisor. People in this role will develop/build complex systems that may have system-wide impact and integrates across the organization, along with complex infrastructure solutions.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Qualifications: EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The Linux system administrator is responsible for day-to-day operational maintenance, support, OS installations and upgrades for enterprise servers
- Monitors and Tune systems to achieve optimum performance leve ls
- Participates in short- and long-term planning efforts with stakeholders IT groups.
- Provides project cost/time estimates.
- Works with analysts, architecture, and stakeholders to understand business needs.
- Ensures completeness of technical requirements and functional architecture analysis for the design and implementation of system business solutions.
- Identifies requirements gaps or issues.
- Determines systems specifications, input/output processes and working parameters for hardware/software compatibility.
- Works with impacted areas to ensure proper communication/review of requirements and integration.
- Evaluates technical requirements for projects to determine the impact to the infrastructure including equipment redundancy and capacity requirements.
- Design, develops/builds, and tests solutions or infrastructure solutions to meet business requirement and functional specifications
- Coordinates design/development activities of subsystems and integration with larger infrastructure solutions.
- Installs, configures, and tests infrastructure solutions.
- Assists in the business process redesign and documentation as needed for new technology.
- Makes recommendations to improve security and participates in investigations as needed.
- Adheres to security requirements.
- Provides audit trails to detect potential security violations.
- Designs, plans and leads testing efforts and coordinates feedback of test results.
- Develops cases test plans.
- Conducts testing to ensure requirements are met.
- Escalates problems as needed.
- Build, Deploys and reviews new, modified or enhanced infrastructure components or services.
- Ensures build and deployment meets client's expectations.
- Documents and completes knowledge transfer to production support.
- May coordinate activities.
- May perform routine maintenance tasks.
- Assists in establishing requirements, methods and procedures for routine maintenance.
- Ensures performance meets the present and future needs of the business.
- Forecasts utilization patterns and identifies modifications or upgrades.
- Designs reports to identify patterns and trends.
- Defines and ensures continuous monitoring procedures are set according to the standard procedures and requirements.
- Recommends changes/enhancements for improved systems availability, reliability and performance.
- Recommends operational metrics.
- Analyzes metrics to understand performance and identifies opportunities for continuous improvements.
- Performs Level 3/4 incident assessment and resolution on infrastructure solutions.
- Investigates alternative methods to expedite problem resolution.
- Recommends procedures and controls for problem resolution or creates temporary solutions until permanent solutions can be implemented.
- Researches, analyzes and recommends the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify current problems or similar future problems.
- Reviews checklists and scripts and updates as needed.
- May participate in the development of contingency plans including reliable backup and restore procedures.
- Participates in the identification of vulnerabilities and mitigation plan.
- Assists in the development of disaster recovery plans with service providers.
- Supports and helps establish systems environment standards.
- Works with auditors and security groups to ensure adherence to governance, regulations, and compliance with policies and procedures.
- Assists in developing SLAs or OLAs.
- Works with vendors to resolve problems and develop infrastructure solutions.
- Evaluates vendor solutions to ensure compliance with requirements and cost-effectiveness.
- Documents new or modified infrastructure solutions, modules, test activities/results and other areas such as error handling.
- Ensures all documentation is delivered according to specified guidelines.
- Proofreads documents for accuracy.
- Provides coaching to team members.
- Evaluates future technologies and makes recommendations.
MINIMUM SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's degree or technical institute degree/certificate in a relevant field or equivalent work experience with Linux administration.
- Typically requires 5-7 years of relevant technology work experience.
- Demonstrates knowledge of a broad range of hardware and software products.
- Enterprise Server Management Experience
- Knowledge of SuSe Linux/and or RedHat
- Solid Understanding of virtualization technology on VMWare suite
- Experience with converged technology such as Cisco UCS
- Strong scripting skills
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience with general IT concepts beyond their primary discipline
- Good interpersonal skills; effective team player
- Good analytical skills with attention to detail
- Good presentation skills
- Ability to prioritize work load
- Understanding of ITSM
A little about us:
Where knowledge, reach and partnership shape healthcare delivery.