Senior Linux System Cloud Engineer
Title: Senior /Principal Linux System Administrator
Reporting to : Manager, Cloud Data Center Operations
About Business Unit:
The Oracle Cloud for Industry (OCI) provides Cloud-based Infrastructure and Platform services to allow the Oracle Global Business Units to offer Cloud offerings in the Health Sciences, Communications, Retail, Finance,Utilities,and Project Management vertical markets.
The Oracle Cloud for Industry (OCI) Architecture team is responsible for driving architecture innovation and enabling Oracle Global Business Unit (GBU) Cloud Offerings. OCI Architects bridge the gap between business and technology and combine a deep understanding of technology, applications,industry best practices, business processes and architectural patterns to develop Cloud solutions that meet the business objectives of the GBU's and their customers.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will possess excellent systems management and interpersonal communication skills, have good troubleshooting and analyzing skills, and are responsible and responsive. The candidate must be expert on Oracle Enterprise Linux (RHEL base) Operating System and independent on Windows Operating Systems (2000/2003/2008), database and Internet technologies, security and hosting facilities. The candidate must feel comfortable in fast-paced, team-based environment.
Responsible for the system administration activities within the environment. Monitor all system processes. Install, configure, and maintain file systems. Develop and maintain shell scripts and programs to support and simplify administration tasks for our mission critical processes. Design and secure troubleshooting system utilities and diagnostic equipment. Introduce remote management
• Create Install Qualification (IQ), Operational Qualification (OQ) and deployment documentation as needed to support environment and application deployments into the Production Hosting environment.
• Work with project managers to plan server resources and set-up timelines for projects. Develop requirements, specification and project development efforts to support projects. Coordinate with vendors to committed services.
• Execute against project plans to implement software and hardware installation and upgrade projects. Assist with resolving performance tuning issues. Provide off-hours support on a rotating schedule.
• Assure internal and vendor compliance to company standard operating procedures. Review quality metrics and procedures. Assess system vulnerability and security capabilities. Participate in disaster recovery and backup procedures development and implementation.
• B.E./B.Tech. or equivalent experience;
• 6-8 year experience in a System Admin position.
• Experienced with Quality Management methods and philosophies.
• Red Hat Certifications are a plus
• Exposure to ITIL V3
• Strong Knowledge of server virtualization, SAN and NAS technologies
• Experience with Server Virtualization, TCP/IP,SMTP, sFTP, Active Directory, IIS, ASP, HTML, VBScript, Windows and other Unix based Scripting languages, and DNS services.
• Installation and operation of custom Internet and Intranet computing environments running Windows 2000, 2003, and 2008.
• Installation of Oracle Enterprise Linux and/or Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
• Must be self-managed and self-motivated.
• Experience with writing PERL and Shell scripts.
• OEM, Linux OS Patching
• Hands-on with Ansible and Yum commands
• Exposure to backup, DR and patching tools/technologies
Good to have Skills:
• Demonstrable expertise in server/system management in a production environment.
• Strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing, to appropriate management.
• First rate customer service skills are a MUST.
• Strong Knowledge of UNIX and/or Linux.
• Must be available to be on call 24x7 and work some evenings or weekends.
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational and planning skills.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced team environment.
• Familiarity with Oracle Utilities (SPL / Lodestar) products is a big plus
Work Location: Burlington, MA or United States
Define, design, and implement network communications and solutions within a fast-paced, leading edge database/applications company.
Responsible for creating and implementing system enhancements that will improve the performance and reliablility of the system. Manage the load configurations of a central data communication processor and make recommendations for purchase or upgrade of data networks. Coordinate terminal orders and cable installation, network system planning, upgrading, monitoring, testing, and servicing. Approves action requests and specifies purchase requisitions. Negotiates and places orders with common carriers. May play a team leader role for developing System Administrators.
Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Eight years of related experience in a medium to large network distributed and computing environment. BS in Computer Science or related field.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.