Towers Crescent 2 (12067), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
Senior Manager, Community Relations
Community Affairs is looking for a dynamic, collaborative leader and coach to implement a “digital first” community centered mindset to create and implement Capital One’s community investment strategy. In partnership with staff group leadership, senior corporate executives, internal stakeholder groups and the nonprofits and their clients, leads the development and implementation of community strategies that deliver value to community members and business returns, including: CRA, business development, talent management and corporate reputation. Lead the design and execution of programmatic strategies drawing on subject-matter expertise in issues of Economic Opportunity (21st century job skills, small business development, financial capability, civic leadership) and in functional expertise (grants management, volunteerism/community engagement, and community PR & marketing).
Demonstrated ability to lead in a collaborative and agile environment, inspire and influence senior executives, and lead and motivate teams in a customer-focused culture. Very strong communications skills required, including listening, writing, oral presentation, and EQ. Curiosity, a growth mindset in themselves and others, demonstrated ability to groom leaders, commitment to diversity and inclusion, and a deep commitment and understanding of intractable community issues a must. The ability to plan for what will be, rather than what is today, is key in being able to develop a strategy that will move Capital One forward.
Community Relations Team Leadership
- Lead the Staff Groups Community relations team that effectively serves its internal and external customers.
- Lead San Francisco market for Community Affairs.
- In partnership with Senior Director, Community Affairs, establish strategy for digital, tech, HR and other staff groups that serves customer and meets executive expectations.
- Support the growth, engagement and development of team members especially regarding collaboration, creativity and growth mindset
- Promote a culture of direct feedback, the assumption of positive intent, and mutually supportive relationships.
- Serve on senior leadership team for Community Affairs. Effectively participate in and lead horizontal teams in achieving shared goals. Develop deep and productive relationships within the Community Affairs team. Effectively and efficiently partner with other External Affairs teams (Corp Comms, CDB, CRA, Community Finance, Policy Affairs, Reg Relations).
Strategy Development and Execution
- Serve as key resource on the Community Affairs team in understanding digital, tech, HR and other staff group client priorities and strategies and identifying opportunities for intersection
- Lead Capital One’s San Francisco community investment strategy
- Provide input to market level strategies and the Market President Network as appropriate
- Partner with a portfolio of LOB’s and provide strategic consult or develop community strategies and action plans that support client goals.
- Develop and execute strategies that advance the goals of Future Edge, designing around [specific content, LOB interests, and/or market profile].
- Track progress, advance successes, identify challenges, and effectively solve problems. Use available data to develop and iterate strategy.
- Provide thought leadership in advancing the company’s Corporate Social Responsibility agenda.
Executive and Associate Engagement
- Advise and support senior executives in community leadership roles; e.g. Nonprofit Boards, Market Presidents, speaking events, etc.
- Provide responsive leadership to the development and execution of [corporate-wide, market level and/or LOB-specific] volunteer programs, e.g. Pro Bono, Capital One Coders, Financial Education
- Lead a team that manages to grant and operations budgets and forecasts. Help to shape department budgets, effectively respond to resource fluctuations as they arise.
- Achieve CRA grant and volunteerism goals (CRA Investment/CRA Service).
- Ensure team compliance with operational policies, processes, systems, and responsibilities.
- Activate Future Edge brand locally in partnership with internal and external stakeholders
- Partner with Community Affairs communicator and Corporate Communications to create activities, events, and/or content that is compelling. Collect and share stories/examples that support communications priorities.
- Develop and deliver cogent presentations that make the business case for our work, communicate strategy, and share content expertise.
- Represent Capital One in the community through networking, public speaking, and event attendance.
- Identify and sustain mutually productive relationships with key community leaders and connect internal executives when appropriate. Maintain an active network of colleagues internally and externally that can provide connections, partnership leads, and expert counsel.
The Successful Candidate will Have:
- Very strong verbal and written presentation skills; strong influencing skills; credible public speaker
- Ability to clearly understand and articulate ROI of corporate social responsibility.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and multitask. Experience managing large scale projects and activities with multiple partners.
- Collaborative and participatory leadership style
- Experience working effectively with leaders at the C-suite level.
- Digitally fluency; able to easily learn technological systems and apps, and contribute to the digitization of our work. Comfortable with Power Point, Excel, growing availability of productivity apps.
- Very strong partnership building and relationship management skills, demonstrated experience in achieving “win-win,” measurable outcomes through corporate-community partnerships
- Strong networking skills. Easily builds and maintains relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels; comfortably and strategically leverages relationships
- Ability to apply ideas/learning to his or her work. Avid learner, great listener. Quick study, current on trends in economic opportunity, corporate social responsibility, philanthropy, business
- Working knowledge of Community Reinvestment Act
- Bachelor’s Degree OR Military Experience
- At least 5 years’ experience in nonprofit leadership or corporate community relations or grant making OR At least 5 years’ combined experience in nonprofit leadership, corporate community relations, and grant making
- At least 3 years grant making experience
- Experience working in an agile environment
- 7 years’ experience in nonprofit leadership, corporate community relations, and/or grant making
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.