Senior Manager, Engineering (Job Number: 024726)
Corporate Office - 106 WILMOT RD
106 WILMOT RD
This is a very exciting time at Walgreens. We're taking our products and services to the four corners of the world as part of the Retail USA division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. Walgreens Boots Alliance was formed through the combination of Walgreens and Europe's Alliance Boots in December 2014, bringing together two leading companies with iconic brands, complementary geographic footprints, shared values and a heritage of trusted health care services dating back more than 100 years each.
Today, Walgreens is the neighborhood drugstore and retailer that makes health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And, we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Join us at Walgreens and find yourself at a place where innovation thrives and incredible career and growth opportunities await. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment and be part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, employees, and the communities we all call home.
Responsible for advocating and managing the execution of Company strategy by developing, adapting and deploying of the Unified Design Standards for stores. Establishes quality control procedures. Responsible for developing multiple areas of expert knowledge in building architecture, engineering, and interior design guidelines and protocols according to state and local jurisdictional mandates, Company standards and best practices to ensure appropriate design of retail and non-retail buildings. Job Responsibilities
- Develops and mentors staff through on-boarding, open communication, training and development opportunities and performance management processes; builds and inspires employee morale and motivation; ensures the team is appropriately staffed with required competencies; fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- Leads change management of the Company Unified Design Standards and strategizes the management of the release of quarterly updates to guidelines, scope of work documents, templates, drawings, specifications and cut sheets.
- Continuously improves processes and negotiates with internal and external business partners to value engineer in order to optimize total cost of ownership.
- Leads cross-functionally both within and outside the division, driving small teams to decrease total cost of ownership for the Company while accomplishing internal goals and delivering on results
- Subject matter expert in the negotiation consultant contracts and leads teams of licensed building design professionals retained for the development of the Company Unified Design Standards.
- Creates and maintains Company Unified Design Standards, which is comprised of Design Guidelines, Brand Guidelines, Architecture and Engineering Standards, Building Criteria, Specifications, and Technical Manuals.
- Responsible for driving value engineering principals to lifecycle costs and occupancy costs through our Company Unified Design Standards.
- Reports on progress and uses analytics lessons learned, and best practices from prior projects to re-inject learning's into the Company Unified Design Standards
- Subject Matter Expert in the stated discipline supporting current technical needs and requirements to the overall development program assuring best in class design.
- Brings deep understanding and innovation to future enhancements within stated discipline and expertise.
Qualifications Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 8 years of experience in Project Management, Construction Management, Design, Engineering and/or Architecture OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 11 years of experience in Project Management, Construction Management and/or Architecture group.
- At least 5 years of experience managing and working with construction, design and engineering practices including budgeting, estimating and scheduling.
- At least 5 years of experience managing and working with construction plans and specifications.
- At least 5 years of experience managing and working with architectural/site plan design, including items such as cost and quality control, material/equipment installation, bidding practices, material and labor costs.
- Experience diagnosing, isolating, and resolving complex issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: inserting headers, page breaks, page numbers and tables and/or adjusting table columns).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using SUM function, setting borders, setting column width, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, setting headers and footers and/or print scaling).
- At least 3 years of experience in building, maintaining and managing large (<$6m) capital budgets.
- At least 5 years of experience working with and/or establishing construction budgets and building systems.
- At least 2 year of experience directly managing people, including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work.
- Willing to travel up to 25% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Experience in retail / healthcare industry.
- Experience on both the owner and consultant side of management.
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience establishing and maintaining relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization and industry community.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Construction Management.
- Experience using AutoCAD and Revit
A little about us:
The training you received, the discipline you embraced, and the responsibilities you held in the military will serve you well at Walgreens.