The Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices organization is seeking a multi-faceted, exceptionally talented, user-centered Senior Manager, Industrial Design & Human Factors (IDHF) who is passionate about improving the quality of people's lives through compelling design experiences. This position will be located within our Medical Devices campus in Raynham, MA.
With worldwide sales of over $27 billion, Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices is one of the world’s largest, most innovative surgical companies. The businesses represented in the J&J Medical Device sector are Acclarent, Advanced Sterilization Products, Biosense Webster, DePuySynthes, Ethicon, Mentor, and Sterilmed.
The Senior Manager, IDHF will embrace the various roles this position requires consisting of Usability Champion, Research-driven Innovator, Classic Industrial Designer, Brand Ambassador, Strategic Design Leader, and People Manager:
- Embrace human-centered design methodologies to identify what makes a product intuitive-to-use. Observe and interact within a clinical environment to identify and eliminate potential use errors early in the development process. Leverage insights to inspire others to think more empathically.
- Provide creative design leadership that uncovers new product opportunities. Work with the IDHF team and our customers to gather, synthesize and translate user research into device concepts that advance surgical care.
- Possess a strong understanding of "how things work" with an innate interest in materials and process. Ability to visualize and create concepts that meet cost targets, project schedule, manufacturing processes and hospital procedures. Collaborate and evolve existing visual brand language, as well as contribute to future design strategies.
- Collaborate across J&J to help build a compelling and unique brand presence in our market. Apply creativity to help influence a brand that fuses great product design with customer experience aspirations.
- Optimize IDHF's ability to execute great design within a complex healthcare environment. Ability to make decisions affecting resources (people, cost, and time), possess broad project management skills, and the ability to adjust between big picture thinking and product level details.
- Active contribution to the Global Medical Devices IDHF leadership team on strategic planning, organization design, and implementation approaches across multiple global locations.
- Management responsibility for organizational structure and professional development of ID|HF associates. Ensure associates have the resources, information, training and support to meet their objectives in a timely, competent and cost effective manner
- A BS/BA in Industrial Design, Human Factors, or related degree with a minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience is required.
- The successful candidate must possess excellent visual communication skills using traditional sketching and digital media is required.
- Relevant experience leading multi-disciplinary product development teams and external partners is required.
- Self-directed activities focusing on development of product line strategies, planning flexible department structures & supporting change as corporate structure evolves. Able to achieve a balance of daily departmental operation & individual work load is required.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively recruit, develop, manage and coach associates to strengthen organizational capabilities around product design is required
- Experience with department administration, including operating within expense & capital budgets is required.
- Experience with the design and development of healthcare products, regulated industry, surgical procedures/experiences, and knowledge of hospital environments are preferred.
- Additional skills and hands-on experiences that augment the design process (e.g., Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive Psychology, Graphic Design, Information Design, Interaction Design, Mechanical Engineering, Clinical Experience…etc.) is preferred.
- This position may require 15% travel and will be located in Raynham, MA.
Depuy Orthopaedics. Inc. (6029)Job Function
R&D Engineering (R&D)