West Creek 7 (12077), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
Senior Manager, Senior Counsel - Bankruptcy
- Serve as the legal subject matter expert and counselor advising Capital One’s Card and Retail Bank bankruptcy operations groups and related support groups (e.g., Legal, Compliance, Audit, and Quality Assurance).
- Support the Card and Retail Bank bankruptcy operations groups as an integral member of their operational and risk management processes.
- Provide strategic and proactive leadership on legal and regulatory issues affecting the Card and Retail Bank businesses.
- Ensure timely identification, mitigation, resolution and reporting/escalation of existing and emerging legal issues and risks.
- Support the development, marketing, and rollout of new products, services, and other innovations impacting customers being serviced by the Card and Retail Bank bankruptcy operations groups.
- Review internal policies and procedures and advise Capital One’s Card and Retail Bank bankruptcy operations groups on best practices, policies and procedures.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholder groups.
A successful candidate will have:
- Deep expertise in consumer bankruptcy laws and regulations affecting credit card and retail bank products and services.
- Financial services industry knowledge and expertise, including experience with consumer regulatory requirements relating to credit card and retail bank products and services.
- A thorough knowledge of consumer protection laws, including TILA, ECOA, UDAAP, FCRA, FDCPA, SCRA, Dodd-Frank Act, and accompanying regulations.
- Complete understanding of the regulatory framework applicable to a bank originating and servicing residential mortgage, home equity, and auto finance loans subject to oversight by the OCC and CFPB.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Ability to manage large volume of work, including complex legal issues that may arise suddenly.
- Ability to thrive in an environment primarily defined by close collaboration with the Card and Retail Bank businesses and Legal colleagues to solve complex legal issues and to develop guidance and advice.
- Ability and willingness to work as a team player, with comfort interacting with associates across departments and job levels, both inside and outside the Legal department.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) and a member of a state bar
- At least 5 years of law firm, in-house legal department, or government experience in an attorney role
- At least 3 years’ experience working with consumer bankruptcy laws impacting banking products, including credit cards and retail bank accounts
- 6+ years of law firm, in-house legal department or government experience in an attorney role
- 6+ years’ experience working on consumer regulatory matters, with an emphasis on consumer bankruptcies involving credit cards and retail bank accounts
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
A little about us:
Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, Capital One® offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers.