Senior Manager Software Development - Data Cloud
Posted: October 20, 2016
Reference ID: 160015SL
- Cupertino, CA
Oracle is the world-leader in global data solutions that inform smarter action in every part of a business. Our core mission is to empower our customers with unique data solutions across various business functions and verticals that can be plugged into any applications or decision engine to drive high-value insights and competitive action.
Oracle provides a comprehensive and unified data solution to drive prospecting at scale, audience insights and cross-channel marketing actions. The Oracle Audience Data Marketplace is the world's largest aggregation of third party, anonymous prospecting data on well over 1B unique profiles worldwide. It uniquely offers a combination of offline, online and mobile targeting attributes at scale to inform relevant ad and content experiences across digital, social, search and mobile channels.
We are looking for a smart, energetic Engineering Manager/Director to lead the delivery for our real time data delivery technologies team (aka pixel server team). This team owns driving our real time data ingestion and delivery pipeline, which processes trillions of data ingestion and data delivery actions monthly, classifies profiles over one million rules, and delivers tens of billions of consumer profile signals to hundreds of partners. We are a real cloud big data business, and our team is the engine that ingests, stores, and activates this data.
This role will require you to interact across multiple teams requiring expertise in technical, written, and spoken communication skills. You'll work in an environment where we value, expect and reward peer-to-peer collaboration and you will be positioned and expected to make a significant impact on how the Oracle Data Cloud strategy unfolds and develops. You will:
• Own critical upcoming architecture evolutions of our software platform, where you will drive definition, strategy, and execution to retool our software data platform to meet our growing and demanding needs.
• Work with product and software development teams to deliver projects that enhance our ability to integrate mobile devices into our product offerings
• Work with engineering leaders to build the plan for and execute on programs that allow us to leverage billions of identifies to provide the most comprehensive and comprehensible data profiles in the world.
• Reach across organizations to coordinate feature and product delivery with members of the Oracle Marketing Cloud as well as our Audience Data Marketplace.
• Be a great leader/manager, clearly communicate goals, responsibilities, issues and status to team members and stakeholders.
• Build and pilot a high quality software development process which practices sound SDLC and code quality processes; while maintaining a spirit of fast fails, testing-in-production, and continuous integration/deployment.
• Drive complex software engineering projects and break down epics/stories into individual tasks
• Optimize data ingestion and data delivery design, code and deployment strategies to run at scale in a high-performance, real time, multi-data center environment.
• Write code, release often, and have a blast doing it.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
• B.S. in Computer Science or a related field
• 3 years of experience leading teams, as a development manager or engineering manager
• 5 years in C or C , Java, or C# (at least 3 years in C/C ), and a strong proficiency in OO design
• 5 years developing and operating software in a Linux/UNIX environment (incl. working with Perl, Python, bash, or your favorite scripting language)
• 3 years in big data concepts and NoSQL technologies, such as Cassandra, HBASE, Hadoop, Mongo DB, etc.
• 3 years of experience in web service technologies/ideologies
• Experience in Scrum/Agile methodologies
• Strong communication skills: able to clearly articulate, defend and document design decisions and work with a distributed team
• Interest and aptitude for understanding the business models that drive the company
Ideal candidates will also have the following:
• M.S. or higher in Computer Science
• 5 years of industry development or engineering management experience
• 7 years of industry experience, heavily weighted towards C and C , in a Linux/UNIX environment
• 5 years of industry experience in NoSQL, or other big data technologies and strategies
• Experience designing and implementing scalable workflow systems processing large amounts of data
• A demonstrated record of delivering projects in the face of significant ambiguity and complexity
• Experience in ad technologies and/or the online advertising space
Candidate Personal Attributes:
Love of Problem-Solving: You attack problems and solve them rather than raise barriers or pessimism
Self-starter: You like results, take initiative and have a figure-it-out-and-get-it-done mentality
Fun: You have good people skills, are humble and fun to be around
Passion: You have a natural curiosity and desire to excel
Ownership: You sign up, are accountable and follow through - whether you succeed or fail
Creative: You believe there is always a way to solve the problem
Data-driven: You gather data to make decisions and use data to convince others.
Manage a team that designs, develops, troubleshoots and debugs software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a manager of the software engineering division, you will apply your knowledge of software architecture to manage software development tasks associated with developing, debugging or designing software applications, operating systems and databases according to provided design specifications. Build enhancements within an existing software architecture and suggest improvements to the architecture.
Manages and controls activities in multi-functional areas of sections. Ensures appropriate operational planning is effectively executed to meet Corporate specifications. Demonstrated leadership and people management skills. Strong communication skills, analytical skills, thorough understanding of product development. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 4 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.