Senior Manager, Software Engineering - Java
As a Capital One Senior Manager, Software Engineering - Java, you'll work on a highly visible virtual assistant project using cutting-edge open source technology. You'll bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as: Java, Scala, REST, JSON, Kafka, Akka, Docker, Ruby, NoSQL databases, Chef, maven or sbt, and AWS/Cloud Infrastructure. You will lead the technical design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems. In addition, you will have the opportunity to remain in a hands-on engineering role while also managing a team of seven individuals.
A great candidate will be experienced working within the agile/scrum methodology. We seek an inquisitive and curious mind and someone with a collaborative leadership style. We use a lot of leading-edge technology, so you can expect to learn a lot fast, especially at first!
We run with a “you build it, you own it” philosophy, so some background or exposure to devops practices (e.g. CI/CD, release process) is important. Many of our team members, including leaders, are AWS-certified.
- Own the technical design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems
- Drive tactical delivery for one or more teams
- Work with business partners, architects, and other groups to identify technical and functional needs of systems, and determine priority of needs
- Ensure adherence to defined development life cycle, good software design practices, and architecture strategy and intent
- Collaborate with multiple participating teams to deliver new system capabilities and features
- Enforce company policies in areas of development methodology, architecture, security, change and configuration management, compliance, and HR
- Partner with Product Owners to understand the scope of work, priorities, and requirements for development
- Participate in grooming of features for projects
- Coordinate coding, testing, implementation and documentation of solutions
- Responsible for key system design and integration decisions; and for communicating decisions to individuals implementing the system
- Be capable of executive-level verbal and written communication to senior leadership
- Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
- At least 8 years of software development experience in a Java environment
- At least 5 years of experience managing large scale software development projects through complete release cycles and working with cross-functional business and technology teams
- At least 5 years of experience in people management including hiring, firing, and performance reviews
- Master’s Degree
- 10+ years of software development experience in a Java/open-source environment
- 6+ years of experience in Agile
- 3+ years of AWS experience
- 3+ years of devops exposure
- 1+ year of experience in any of the following: Scala, Akka, Kafka, functional programming
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.