Plan, organize and perform nutrition research while demonstrating a level of nutrition knowledge, to adapt or create advancements in pet nutrition, develop and substantiate nutrition claims, establish nutrient requirements, align new products with Purina’s nutrient standards and give guidance to the nutrition adequacy of products.
1. Plan, organize and perform the necessary feeding trials and experiments (bench-top and pet feeding tests), as required, to deliver the nutrition and nutrition claims required in product development projects that meet the requirements of the client companies and Global Strategic Business Unit
2. In the scope of product development project, brings nutrition expertise to help develop new nutrition claims and to write the substantiation for the respective claim including writing feeding protocols and conducting additional feeding studies to substantiate the nutrition claim.
3. Ensures that products are aligned with Purina’s nutrition philosophy and meet and/or exceed Purina’s dog and cat nutrient standards.
4. Be aware of all new nutrition findings (internal and published nutrition research) and to have the nutrition competency to be able to apply these findings to our products including new nutrition claims where required
5. Write feeding test protocols to conduct both long and short term nutritional studies, if needed, to enable product development and nutrition claims.
6. Ability to adapt and deliver the new nutrition technologies from Nestle Research Center-PetCare into new or renovated products.
7. Provide global nutrition input, guidance, and assistance within R&D and external partners (e.g., Technical Applications, Marketing), as required, on a wide variety of projects and nutrition topics.
8. Participate and contribute as a member of a cross-functional project team providing nutrition expertise and guidance. Actively drive product and process conceptualization, development and scale-up. Interface on a project implementation team by assisting with transition from concept to development to start-up and providing nutritional guidance and training as required.
9. Provide assistance, as assigned, on nutrition communication needs.
10. Effectively communicate research and product development results through oral presentations, training material and timely, written technical documentation, substantiation dossiers, and reports
11. Conduct all activity in compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and all required Company policies and procedures
12. Travel as necessary
13. Practice safety in the work area
• Provide nutrition leadership, in time, to create original, differentiating nutrition claims and a high level of nutrition expertise to apply existing and advanced nutrition knowledge to products and/or processes
• Possess a recognized nutrition expertise and keep current in technical discipline to build expert role in company
• Propose and execute projects utilizing technical innovations that may be applicable to Nestlé Purina business strategy
• Continue development of project leadership skills
• Establish and maintain good relationships with vendors and counterparts at other Nestlé operations by engaging in frequent informal communication
• Understanding the needs of the markets and operations, aggressively self-generate new innovative nutrition claims and products
• Foster a global nutrition team relationship
• Additional duties as assigned
SUPERVISION GIVEN AND RECEIVED:
• Supervision required should be minimal
JOB QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, and Knowledge):
• M.S. Animal nutrition or related discipline
• A minimum of five years of experience in applied nutrition role
• Excellent knowledge of nutrition, nutrient requirements, biochemistry, and physiology,
• Demonstrate ability to create original, differentiating nutrition technology and/or claims and apply nutrition knowledge to meet business needs. Ability to translate nutrition research to nutrition claims.
• Demonstrate ability to develop nutrition research ideas and concepts that are differentiating and highly valued by customers
• Good sense of business/technical interrelationships
• Demonstrate strong technical skills or expertise
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills are required
• A solid background in animal nutrition, cat & dog physiology, and ingredients and a fundamental knowledge in food processing and food science.
• Must be able to manage multiple projects/priorities
• Good organizational skills
• Computer literacy
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS PREFERED BUT NOT REQUIRED:
• PhD degree in Animal Nutrition is preferred
• Broad range of technical knowledge outside area of specialty