Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
To enable our business to expand our lead in a market increasingly enhanced by technology, Waste Management is undertaking a substantial technology transformation. We are seeking talented Information Technology professionals to join the Waste Management team who are motivated to help us transform the way we design, build and use technology. With your skills and experience, we look for you to combine your technical expertise with industry best practices in an effort to align information technology solutions with Waste Management business strategy. I. Job Summary
Leads the Operational Research team in formulating and applying mathematical modeling and other optimizing methods to develop and interpret information that assists the organization with decision making, policy formulation, or other managerial functions. Frequently concentrates on collecting and analyzing data and developing advanced decision support software. Ultimately responsible for the developing and supplying technical expertise and analytic support for optimal time, costing, pricing, or logistics networks for evaluation and/or implementation. II. Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other ancillary duties may be assigned.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
- Oversees and leads the formation of advanced mathematical models (linear and non-linear) of problems, relating constants and variables, restrictions, alternatives, conflicting objectives, and their numerical parameters.
- Directs the conduction of complex simulation (discrete event) studies of existing and proposed systems, including defining data requirements; capture and validate information, model formulation, design experimentation, and applying appropriate statistical analysis.
- Oversees current systems and processes, interacting with the appropriate personnel. Utilizing a variety of sources, collects and analyzes information to support the modeling and analysis.
- Acts as the lead liaison with leadership to identify, define, and solve a variety of problems and support various corporate initiatives.
- Owns and directs the designing, conducting and evaluating of experimental operational studies in cases where models or are complicated, ambiguous, or cannot be developed from existing data.
- Leads Information Technology team in converting the built Operations Research tool prototypes into production.
- Oversees and prepares management reports defining the problem; documenting the analysis and recommending courses of action in order to determine the best outcomes.
- Directs and develops complex business methods and procedures, including accounting systems, file systems, office systems, logistics systems, and production schedules.
- Responsible for ultimate development of training curriculums, presentations, methods or materials that inform the internal clients about the data-driven solutions developed for supporting decision making.
- Utilizes computer programming skills and relational database system to develop optimization applications.
- Utilizes mathematical programming software packages such as IBM ILOG CPLEX, LINDO, or Xpress; familiarity with algebraic modeling languages such as AMPL or GAMS.
- Will coach and mentor less-experienced personnel or act as team leader on systems projects.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor's Degree (accredited) in Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Business or similar area of study, or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: Five years of relevant work experience required (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Advanced knowledge or skills in one or more of the following is required:
- Experience with leading an integrated solutions development team to provide value to systems engineering and development for specific decision support application.
- Ability to apply operations research techniques including decision analysis, optimization, simulation and statistical and stochastic modeling.
- Significant experience utilizing mathematical programming software packages such as IBM ILOG CPLEX, LINDO, or Xpress.
- Ability to develop simulation models and conduct studies utilizing commercial simulation software such as Arena, AutoMOD, Witness, etc.
- Problem solving and analysis skills.
- Ability to identify root causes of problems, create effective practical solution approaches, implement solutions under the tactical demands of business operations.
- Programming experience, preferably in C or C#.
- Committed and highly motivated team player with strong communication skills.
- Work and familiarity with data mining and visualization tools.
- Experience leading a project team and successfully working in a project-centered environment.
D. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities that Contribute to Success
V. Work Environment
- May require advanced skills in one or more of the following:
- Familiarity with various technologies, databases, or applications including but not limited toalgebraic modeling languages such as AMPL or GAMS.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: office setting. Benefits
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply."
Waste Management, Inc. is North America's leading provider of integrated environmental solutions.