Senior Patent Attorney
Location: Trumbull, Connecticut
Posted: February 15, 2017
Reference ID: 170002AE
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. It has 172,000 employees and generated sales of €48.4 billion in 2014. Over half (57%) of the company’s footprint is in developing and emerging markets. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Wall’s, PG Tips, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum and Lynx.
We are hiring a creative and highly motivated Patent Lawyer with a strong background in intellectual property, but interest and experience across a broader range of legal areas. You will work cross-functionally with scientists and business professionals and assist with issues to advance intellectual property efforts and collaboration opportunities. This is an outstanding opportunity to join one of the world’s top consumer product companies.
• Lead development and implementation of intellectual property strategies, including drafting and prosecution for worldwide protection
• Provide advice regarding complex transactions to ensure alignment with business strategy and to secure maximum rights for the company
• Work closely with internal R&D and Business Development to offer advice and counsel regarding a variety of intellectual property issues, including the creation and protection of intellectual property arising from the company’s in-house research efforts and/or acquisitions and third party collaborations
• Conduct freedom to operate opinions, analyze third party patents for validity and patentability assessments and competitive patent intelligence
• Provide advice on Litigation and M&A matters
• Foster client education and relationships with business and general legal colleagues
• At least 10 years of experience in patent drafting and prosecution (worldwide), patent opinion drafting and licensing/agreement work in the chemical/biochemical arts
• Juris Doctorate from an accredited Law School
• Admission to a State Bar
• Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark office
• Degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or biochemistry, or related field
• Previous in-house experience preferred
• Experience utilizing creative and proactive approaches to intellectual property strategies with U.S. and international colleagues
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Mature and professional demeanour with a high degree of self-motivation and organization
Unilever offers a competitive compensation package which includes: Medical & Dental Plans, Life Insurance, including eligible spouses, domestic partners & children; Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, 401k Savings Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Vacation and Holidays.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law. Please note: as part of the job application, you will be asked to complete pre-screening questions. Completion of the pre-screening questions are mandatory in order to be considered. Please allow yourself plenty of time to complete both the application and pre-screening questions. If the pre-screening questions are partially answered or not at all, it will adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the pre-screening questions at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Employment is subject to verification of pre-employment drug-screening results and background investigation.