201 Third Street (61049), United States of America, San Francisco, California
Senior Cloud Engineer
The Senior Cloud Engineer is a full stack engineer who drives efficiency in the application deployment tools and processes. This role will primarily be focused on developing, building, administering, and deploying self-service tools that enables Capital One developers to build, deploy and operate cloud native applications.
Candidates should be self-motivated and collaborative IT professionals with a strong background in software development, systems administration and IT automation.
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Own Continuous Delivery framework, and focus on automation
- Develop scripts and glue code to integrate multiple software components
- Automate the provisioning of environments pulling strings with Puppet, cooking up some recipes with Chef, or through Ansible, and the deployment of those environments using containers, like Docker or Rocket: (and for the love of automation, at least have some configuration management tool through some version control)
- Design and develop automation workflows, performing unit tests and conducting reviews to make sure your work is rigorously designed, elegantly coded, and effectively tuned for platform performance, and assessing the overall quality of delivered components
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are necessary due to the dynamic nature of collaborations with customers, vendors, and other engineering team, solving complex business problems together
- Evaluate & build different compute frameworks for all tiers
- Implementing scalable system solutions is required
- We’re looking for self-starters, those who can work independently, with and across teams.
- Establishing smooth running environments is paramount to your success, and happiness
- Experience migrating on-site solutions to cloud based offerings, such as Amazon’s AWS
- Serious geek street cred if you have a robust portfolio on GitHub and/or Open Source contributions of which you are proud to share!
- Insatiably Curious. You ask why, you explore, you're not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea. You can work at a tiny crack until you've broken open the whole nut
- Automator. You know what continuous integration means, and believe automation is the path to happiness. You know how to script and automate anything and everything, from tests to environment provisioning
Technical Skill set needed for the project:
- At least 5 years’ experience in engineering or running an application platform service
- 3+ years’ with open source and/or commercial continuous integration and delivery tools : : HashiCorp stack is preferred: Vagrant, Terraform, Consul, Vault
- 3+ years’ with automation tools for server provisioning (Ansible, Cobbler, Ironic, Chef and Chef Metal)
- AWS proficiency (ec2, s3, RDS, Route 53, Lambda, IAM, VPC, Security groups)
- Jenkins administration and usage, pipeline plugin (groovy scripting and usage of Jenkins API)
- Docker container ecosystem (standalone docker; docker swarm; docker registry)
- Container orchestration: Kubernetes, AWS ECS (Ec2 Container Service)
- Scripting languages: python
- Expertise in Frontend and other UIs (java, node.js, …)
- Linux system admin skills with basic networking
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or military experience
- At least 2 years’ with large-scale infrastructure designs, implementation, and support
- At least 1 years’ experience developing applications embracing Agile principles
- At least 1 years’ experience with a formal version control tool (Subversion, Git, TFS, or ClearCase)
- Master’s Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or Engineering
- AWS Certified
- 3+ years’ creating recipes with Chef, building cookbooks
- 3+ years’ experience with large-scale software implementation (high transaction volume, high-availability concepts)
- 2+ years’ experience with current licensing strategies around Open Source (Apache Foundation, GNU, MIT License)
- Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
A little about us:
Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, Capital One® offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers.