At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Senior Predictive Engineer for the Software Electronics and Mechanical Systems Corporate Research Laboratory located in Maplewood, MN. Job Summary
The person hired for the position of Senior Predictive Engineer
will utilize computational materials science technology and methodologies coupled with experimental validation working closely with 3M business groups to deliver innovative solutions for research and development, product development and manufacturing of 3M products.Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Implement computational modeling and analysis, primarily focusing on thermo-mechanical behavior and soft matter physics, on technology, materials and product development.
- Determine modeling needs and preparing project proposals
- Collaborate with teams of engineers, chemists, physicists, and data scientists to develop new technologies related to computational materials and product design
- Develop 3M related technologies in the areas of multiscale modeling, scale-bridging methodologies, and coupled-field analyses.
- Master's degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline from an accredited institution
- Experience in molecular dynamics modeling, coarse-grain model development, and finite element modeling
- Possesses or is in the final year of PhD in Materials Science, Polymer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or Engineering Physics from an accredited university
- Experience as an intern/co-op or technical aide
- Three (3) years of experience of molecular dynamics modeling, coarse-grain model development and finite element modeling
- Knowledge of constitutive models of material properties and rheology of soft materials
- Knowledge of custom algorithm development in data technologies
- Experience working with mechanical behavior of complex systems (thermal, fluids, transient flow, coupled-field analysis)
- Experience with commercial finite element software such as ABAQUS, ANSYS, or COMSOL in the simulation of complex objects or systems
- Experience with Molecular Dynamic codes (open-source and/or commercial)
- Five (5) years of experience in programming with Python, Matlab, C++ or Fortran
- Demonstrated scientific excellence as evidenced by publications and presentations.
- Candidate should have a \"hands on, self-starter\" orientation to their work, have broad interests and willingness to explore new areas
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience or interest in product development
- Strong leadership and networking skills
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: May include up to 10% travel
Relocation Benefits: Are authorized for this position
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
A little about us:
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.