Senior Principal Cloud DevOps Engineer
Posted: August 30, 2016
Reference ID: 16000Y1H
Every day at Oracle we change the way the world does business by challenging the status quo through the delivery of innovative cloud, infrastructure and data platform services. The largest names in technology and global business rely heavily on Oracle's next generation Cloud platforms to solve problems that meet the needs of developers, IT professional and business users. Oracle continues to push the boundaries of technology and passionately believes that modern cloud computing helps businesses realize and capitalize on new opportunities as well as innovate faster.
Oracle's Platform as a service team is a vital piece Oracle's overall cloud strategy!!!!! Our team insures that Oracle's next generation of platform technology delivers the industries best Performance, Scalability and Reliability both on prime and in the cloud. By joining our team you will have the unique opportunity to be a part of a rapidly growing world-Class team that develops, Implements and supports cutting edge Technology that's at the core of Oracle's cloud platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) solutions.
To learn more about PaaS at Oracle follow this link: https://www.oracle.com/cloud/paas.html
Do you enjoy the thrill of solving problems? Are you calm and collected when others panic at a sight of a fire? Are you looking to apply your skills contributing to a next generation of global platform services? Do you light up in conversations about uptime, horizontal scalability, performance, security, agile and DevOps?
As part of the global Oracle PaaS DevOps team, you will be continually challenged and have an opportunity to contribute to platform success every day.
The role provides a mixture of production platform ownership as well as dedicated development time. You will solve challenging technical problems, identify improvements and work on implementing your recommendations. You will also work directly with high level developers on projects and work to blur the lines between traditional system operations and development support.
As a Devops Engineer, you will be responsible for defining and deploying key Services with deep focus on architecture, production operations, capacity planning, performance management, deployment, and release engineering. You will work with multiple cross-functional teams helping deliver new and outstanding experiences to our users while ensuring reliability and performance.
In this role you will need to:
* Contribute to development of platform services including architecture, provisioning, configuration, deployment, and support
*Partner with Product Development in prototyping new customer facing platform services
* Stay informed of new technologies
The ideal candidate will have the following:
* Strong communication and analytical skills
* Able to accurately estimate efforts and deliver on time
* Experience with agile processes and general understanding of product development
* Understanding and experience with CI/CD practices
*Familiarity with security practices in web application delivery
* Deep understanding of virtualization solutions and Cloud services
* Strong knowledge of Linux-based OS internals
* Prior Software Development Experience
* Experience with configuration management tools
* Strong knowledge of internet protocols
* Experience in troubleshooting network services
* Prior experience in designing, implementing or supporting high performance and large scale web applications
*Understanding of the DevOps Toolchain components and how they fit together
* Familiarity with the Oracle stack
* Prior DBA experience
Desired Skills and Experience
Job duties are varied and complex utilizing independent judgment. May have project lead role. 7 years of related experience in a medium to large network distributed and computing environment. BS/MS in Computer Science or related field.
Required skills and experience include:
*Ensure the design and deployment of services which are scalable, operable, manageable, secure, performant, and highly available for our customers
* Support the ideation, technical development, and launch of innovative products
*Define and analyze operational metrics that inform the success of products
* Ability to define and document technical architecture of complex and highly scalable products.
*Ensure the quality of the products being delivered
*Product and Development lifecycle management knowledge and experience
* Exceptional communication and presentation skills
* Exceptional organizational and analytical skills
* Ability to take ownership and work independently with minimal inputs
*Eagerness to automate at all costs wherever and whenever the possibility arises.
* Must possess a strong desire to measure application performance and act upon results
* Strong experience with large scale, distributed, enterprise system delivery and operations
* Strong experience with capacity planning, SLA management, load balancing, disaster recovery, business continuity planning,
* Strong Linux internal fundamental
* Strong networking fundamental on DNS, routing, subnets, VLANs, WAN
* Strong experience with Configuration Management solutions, such as Chef or Puppet, Salt Stack, Ansible
* Strong experience with enterprise level monitoring platforms
* Strong experience with hypervisors and virtualization solutions
* Expertise with programming languages such as Java, Python, Ruby, PL/SQL
* Expertise with software development eco-system such as Git, Jenkins, Artifactory, and CI/CD
*Expertise with databases and big data stores like MySQL, Memcached, PostgreSQL, and Oracle DB.
* Knowledge on system and application security
* Familiarity with Linux container and cluster management eco-system such as Docker, Mesos, DCOS, etc.
* Familiarity with big data ecosystem such as Hadoop, Spark, Solr, Kafka or other data collectors
* Familiarity with enterprise class hardware
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will take an active role in the definition and evolution of standard practices and procedures. Define specifications for significant new projects and specify, design and develop software according to those specifications. You will perform professional software development tasks associated with the developing, designing and debugging of software applications or operating systems.
Provide leadership and expertise in the development of new products/services/processes, frequently operating at the leading edge of technology. Recommends and justifies major changes to existing products/services/processes. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 8 more years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.