Janssen Research & Development, a Johnson & Johnson company, is recruiting for Senior Principal Scientist, Group Leader, HTS, to be based in La Jolla, CA.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.JanssenRnD.com for more information.
The new Lead Discovery team is a critical part of the Discovery Sciences organization in Janssen R&D and is committed to the delivery of high quality chemical leads needed for the generation of small molecule clinical compounds in all five Janssen Therapeutic Area discovery teams. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular pharmacology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners.
The Screening department within Lead Discovery is responsible for the delivery of small-molecule qualified hits for the initiation of hit-to-lead programs within the Therapeutic Areas. Major activities include High Throughput Screening (HTS) assay development, screening, and pharmacological profiling. The Screening Team collaborates closely with Janssen Therapeutic Areas and functional teams, the Innovation Centers, and external collaborators in academia and industry. We seek individuals with a strong ability to connect key stake holders for the delivery of goals and objectives, fostering an environment of collaboration, collegiality and positive communication, and who show superior performance in the context of a multidisciplinary, geographically disperse team.
The Senior Principal Scientist will:Qualifications
· Lead the design and implementation of screening strategies that reflect the pharmacology to be modulated in subsequent hit-to-lead discovery programs.
· Provide scientific leadership to a team that (1) develops biochemical and cell based assays formats that are suitable for automated high-throughput screening in 384 or 1536-well formats (2) executes high-throughput screens (3) analyzes screening data including presentation at program team meetings.
· Provide mentoring and career development leadership to direct reports and to others within the department as appropriate.
· Collaborate across multiple therapeutic and functional areas in the US, Europe and Asia.
· Develop innovative approaches to screening and hit triage.
· Attend in-house seminars and external scientific meetings as appropriate.
· Manage external collaborations.
· Publish research in high-quality journals as appropriate.
· PhD in biochemistry, biophysics, cell biology, pharmacology or related areas is required
· Postdoctoral experience is preferred
· A minumum of 8 years of industry experience in assay development and HTS is required
· Expertise with assay development for HTS using biochemical and cellular methods is required
· Expertise with methods such as, but not limited to, FP, HTRF, luminescence and SPA is required
· Fragment screening experience is preferred
· Hit triage experience is preferred
· People management expertise (supervising, coaching, mentoring) is required
· Publications in high-quality peer-reviewed journals are required
· Expertise in cardiovascular, immunology, infectious diseases, neuroscience or oncology therapeutic areas is preferred
· Experience working with and guiding external collaborators in industry or academia is preferred
· This position is located in La Jolla, Ca and may required up to 10% travelPrimary Location
United States-California-San DiegoOrganization
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)Job Function
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.