About the company
A career at the company offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, the company colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. the company, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
the company Vaccine Immunotherapeutics (VITx) seeks to discover novel vaccines (prophylactic and therapeutic) for the prevention and treatment of significant human diseases (e.g. infectious diseases, oncology) using a variety of vaccine technology platforms combined with immunomodulatory agents.
We are seeking a Senior Principal Scientist in Virus Purification to join the Virus/Protein Sciences group in VITx, La Jolla, California, to lead the development, support and transfer of virus purification processes from pre-clinical research scale in VITx to Ph1 production scale in the company, or at CMOs.
The individual will have responsibility for establishing reproducible protocols for virus purification that fall within agreed product specifications and are accompanied by reports that could be used for IP filings, documentation required to underpin regulatory documents and/or Investigator Brochure supportive data packs. The individual will have responsibility for technology transfer of virus purification protocols to Vaccine Research Early Development, Biotherapeutics Pharmaceutical Sciences, and/or CMOs.
The successful candidate will have expert knowledge and extensive experience in virus purification. In addition, the individual will have sound knowledge and training in chemical/biochemical engineering principles related to separation and purification of biologicals - preferentially live virus purification - with a proven record of leading downstream purification process development, scale-up and process transfer in an industrial setting to supply both Regulatory Toxicology and clinical trial material.
The successful candidate will be required to work with BSL2 infectious viruses, e.g. Vaccinia virus, Adenovirus
The individual will be skilled in the process development, optimization and scale-up of the following:
• Virus purification using chromatographic techniques
• Cell lysis, harvest and clarification techniques
• Tangential flow filtration - both ultra and microfiltration
• Enzymatic digestion steps
• Dead-end filtration
• Ultracentrifugation based purification - both batch and continuous flow
Additional required skills would include one or more of the following:
• Experience working with BSL2 infectious viruses - e.g. Vaccinia virus, Adenovirus
• Virus production at bioreactor scale
• Virus/protein characterization techniques
• Viral vector and/ or vaccine development
• Statistical experimental design - DOE
The role is both laboratory based and supervisory, with a major emphasis placed upon laboratory training and supervision of other scientists to increase the group's skills. The individual will be required to work independently under minimal supervision to achieve project and team goals. The individual's specialist knowledge and skills will be transferred to other members of the group by working alongside them in the laboratory so as to ensure scientists are developed for roles with increased independence and responsibility. They will oversee the research of other scientists both directly (in their reporting line) and indirectly (in the matrix team) as project needs dictate. As a member of project teams they will be accountable for the critical appraisal of their groups work and results and present them for review, at specific project milestones.
As a Protein Sciences sub-team lead the individual will be responsible for coordinating their resources with the group head and other sub-team leads, and as necessary with colleagues from other VITx and/ or the company groups to ensure delivery of project goals.
EXPERIMENTAL/LABORATORY & RELATED WORK (50-60%):
• Will oversee experimental design of scientists in the virus purification group
• Will review scientist's analysis and critical interpretation of experimental data, results and methodology used.
• Will work with virus purification scientists to plan and execute a series of experimental tasks to address specific scientific objectives of the project.
• Will work alongside virus purification scientists in the lab as necessary to transfer knowledge and skills for working with state-of-the-art purification techniques.
• Will be an accomplished scientist with notable track record of success and problem solving in all aspects of virus purification
• Will regularly use the scientific literature and electronic information critically to enhance understanding of disease/technology area and generate novel methods and testable hypotheses to support ongoing or start new projects
• Will supervise at least 3 colleagues in the Virus/Protein Sciences group with additional matrix and contingent worker supervision as appropriate to project workload.
• Will direct daily-weekly research activities of colleagues in group in all aspects of virus purification to support VITx projects in the discovery and early development of novel vaccines
• Will be responsible for liaising with colleagues in Vaccine Research Early Development and Biotherapeutics PharmSci for knowledge and process transfer prior to Regulatory Toxicology and clinical trial material manufacture.
• Will liaise with Virus/Protein Sciences group leadership and project teams to establish priorities of research deliverables
• Will be responsible for constructing goals, practice real time performance management, and conduct annual performance appraisals for colleagues in the group.
• Will develop robust career development plans for colleagues and actively engage colleagues in career development opportunities as they arise
• Ensure that group generates SOPs, study reports and protocols etc. in appropriate time frames
• Ensure that Virus/Protein Sciences group writes up electronic laboratory notebooks regularly in compliance with the company IP policy and GSP.
• Preparation of materials for internal and external presentations capturing groups plans/achievements
• Will have effective communication skills, both verbal and written; listens and understands well.
• Will regularly communicate with supervisor and team scientists
• Will regularly contribute and influence at the discipline, project team and program team level in a leadership or team member capacity.
• Regularly present at internal meetings/poster sessions and present and publish in the broader scientific community.
SAFE WORKING AND REGULATORY COMPLIANCE
• Work safely themselves and be aware of EHS practices of other colleagues in all aspects of role, including handling of BSL2 infectious viruses.
• Ensure compliance with all EHS practices/policies for direct reports.
• Completion of risk assessments, compliance training as required
• Acts independently to maintain a safe and EHS compliant desk and workspace
MSc in biological sciences or Biochemical/chemical engineering with 11+ years relevant laboratory experience
PhD in biological sciences or Biochemical/chemical engineering with 8+ years relevant laboratory experience
Standard laboratory conditions - sitting, standing, primarily lab based
Ability to lift up to 30 lbs
Working with BSL2 infectious viruses
Ability to perform mathematical calculations and complex data analysis
Infrequent travel (for internal and/ or external meetings and tech.transfer activities).
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Must receive and maintain required vaccinations or provide satisfactory proof of same.
Other Information - Internal
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
the company is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. the company also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. the company is an E-Verify employer.
A little about us:
Join Pfizer in our mission to find sustainable solutions to the most urgent health care challenges of our time. Your service is needed.