Senior Product Marketing Manager
Are you interested in shaping Microsoft’s increasing commitments and investments in Linux and open source? Are you excited about working with Linux and open source technologies and leaders to create a differentiated experience and vision on Azure? With over 40% of VMs in Azure running Linux, and strong momentum from key Linux partners like Red Hat, SUSE, and Ubuntu, this is a great time to join Azure and help us transform our approach to Linux in the cloud.
The Azure Open Source Product Marketing team is looking for a Linux and open source subject matter expert that can shape, drive, and coordinate Azure’s overall Linux strategy and results from multiple angles – partner and business development, product and engineering priorities, product launches, go-to-market planning, messaging and awareness. You will be working with key Microsoft partners such as Red Hat, SUSE, Ubuntu, and more. This role is a critical player in Azure’s business strategy of increasing Linux customer acquisition and open source workloads on Azure.
In this role, you will represent a critical audience and market segment of the overall Azure open source strategy and will design a business and go-to-market and product plan for multiple flavors of Linux, including Linux partners, and drive results for our business priorities. This includes working with senior Azure leadership, multiple groups both inside and outside of Microsoft, and direct community, customer, and industry engagement. In addition, you will collaborate to deliver world-class Linux-related content and support the field in securing key Linux on Azure customer wins.
As part of representing the Linux segment within overall open source market, you will engage closely with engineering teams to ensure our products and offerings address the needs of Linux target customers and are differentiated from the competition. Influencing product direction and investments will be a key part of your role; therefore, Linux and open source technical, product and market expertise, along with ongoing engagement with the community, are essential. Working familiarity with closely-related open source and cloud topics, such as DevOps, containers, VMs, microservices, serverless computing, and immutable infrastructure, is also a major plus.
The idea candidate thrives when faced with new challenges and must be comfortable with a very high visibility position that will help shape the future of Linux on Azure and a willingness to ‘own the business’ from a broad perspective. You should have a strong track record of driving results in a fast-changing environment and proven success collaborating across teams. Additionally, you should have experience bringing technology to market, operating with at-scale engines, working with engineering, building messaging, assessing results of marketing activities, building competitive product and market insights, and materials to influence product and business direction and support field teams.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
• Partner closely with engineering teams across the company to ensure our Linux offerings on Azure address the target customer needs and are differentiated versus competitors’ offerings.
• Design, develop and maintain positioning and messaging for Azure + Linux workloads and content for internal and external resources across customer lifecycle stages, and Direct, Field and Partner go-to-market channels
• Drive go-to-market strategy and investments in key Linux-focused partners in collaboration with Integrated Marketing, Developer Experience ISV, C+E (Cloud & Enterprise) Business Development, Engineering, and other stakeholders
• Ensure appropriate landing in market of 1st/3rd party products and innovation related to the area of expertise, including maintaining flight plans and roadmap, driving disclosures and alignment across functions (PR, Engineering, Marketing, etc.)
• Be a subject matter expert in your area of expertise for Microsoft, including the industry landscape, technical sentiment and engagement opportunities, as well as being an active participant in internal & external knowledge communities and commit to continue developing technical and leadership skills
• Minimum 5+ years of experience in roles such as technical product management or technical marketing
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
• Subject matter expert in Linux and open source technologies, with customer- and community-facing experience, as demonstrated by exposure at events and industry forums and active open source community participation and verifiable contributions
• Experience working with product teams and bridging communication between business and technical stakeholders, and proven success driving collaboration across teams
• Proven results bringing technology to market in a changing industry environment, including articulating measures of success
• A working understanding of go-to-market fundamentals, such as channel mix and scale engines, is desirable
• Degree in computer science or related area strongly encouraged.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.