Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations is the team behind the cloud. MCIO is responsible for delivering over 200 Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide.
We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the network that powers the world’s largest online services. The Data Center Strategy and Architecture team is responsible for setting the technical direction and reliability profile of Microsoft’s global data center facilities footprint. Working in lock-step with Microsoft’s cloud service development and operations teams, DCSA delivers aligned infrastructure architectures that contemplate system availability from the server through the network and datacenter up into the application stack.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Datacenter Advanced Automation Technical Program Manager is a key contributor to Microsoft’s datacenter design, helping to build highly integrated and autonomous systems while leveraging strengths as an SME across the entire design and operational lifecycle of datacenters. This individual is responsible for developing engineering designs for datacenter controls and automation including end to end process control, power/cooling optimization, augmented reality integration, and physical workflow automation while maintaining portfolio consistency across multiple disciplines including server hardware, network, application development, and facility architecture. This position requires an understanding of data center IT hardware, power and cooling as well as infrastructure control and automation systems. Experience operating and/or optimizing datacenters is a plus, as is experience designing or developing augmented reality scenarios. The candidate is also responsible for technology evaluations, prototyping and running experiments to evaluate and integrate new innovations into design. This high visibility technical-leadership role will influence and advance Microsoft’s datacenter strategy while working collaboratively across teams and divisions to develop infrastructure design and strategy aligned to a common roadmap.
Skills & Qualifications
• Deep knowledge and insight around data center infrastructure engineering and technical operations, datacenter cooling and electrical distribution design, and controls systems.
• Experience developing and delivering industrial automation and robotics.
• Coding experience on PLC and DDC building control and/or EPMS/SCADA systems and the integration of diverse industrial automation systems into advanced control platforms
• Demonstrates ability to write, speak, and present information effectively and persuasively
• Demonstrates critical thinking, precision questioning and problem solving skills
• Demonstrated ability to define and execute to strategic goals
• Self-starter who identifies opportunities and engages with limited management direction
• Excellent judgment, decision making and prioritization skills
• Excellent team building and collaboration skills across teams and divisions.
• Ability to influence peers and leaders across organizational boundaries without positional authority.
• Must be able to work with other technical and non-technical groups in a fast pace, volatile environment, with an even temperament.
• Proficient in financial and operational analysis including total cost of ownership, sensitivity and goal seeking analysis.
• Envision and support development of technical and financial business cases and TCO models
• Fundamental understanding of software architectures, Microsoft online services, software lifecycle methodology
• 5+ years experience in a PM or SWE related to Infrastructure, Data Centers, Hardware, Cloud, AND/OR Construction
• 7+ years experience designing, operating and/or optimizing complex electrical and/or mechanical engineering systems within datacenters.
• 3+ years experience developing technical/ strategic solutions that span organizational boundaries.
• BA/BS in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer engineering, electronics or equivalent experience required. MS/PhD or advanced degree in Datacenter research is preferred.
• Professional Engineering license in Electrical Engineering preferred.
• Experience using MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, MS Project, Visio, and Excel including development of templates for reporting purposes to present and summarize information. 3D visualization and conceptual engineering drawing development in Autocad and/or Sketchup preferred.
Microsoft is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.