Senior Program Manager
The Bing Search & AI team needs strong Program Managers / Product Managers to lead a team of engineers and researchers to apply cutting edge artificial intelligence, machine learning and deep learning technologies to solve some challenging business problems at Bing and Cortana. Specifically, we want to take a leading role in both research and products through ML and Machine Reading Comprehension while pushing the limits of what AI can do.
About the Role
The Bing value proposition is to delight users with the best search experience. Our vision is to create a search engine and agent that can take any question, reason over it, and summarize the answer for you. Eventually, it can even have a conversation over topics and improve itself from feedback. To achieve this vision, we need to expand the boundaries of machine learning, natural language understanding, search engine quality and trust, machine reading comprehension, question answering over knowledge bases, transfer learning, reinforcement learning, and even building interpretable models. We need to scale our algorithms to billions of documents and petabytes of data and return results in milliseconds.
Today, the research arm of our team has some of the best performing models in the Stanford SQuAD and MS MARCO tasks but we want to get those state of the art models into the hands of our customers to empower them to achieve more. We are using deep learning to build the finest machine learning algorithms coupled with reinforcement learning to have these systems learn on their own. You will be collaborating with a team of the best engineers and scientists and with Microsoft Research to build this amazing future.
Your responsibilities will include:
1) Understand current user needs by doing opportunity analysis in the problem domain.
2) Define goals and metrics for a success solution by thinking deeply through the scenarios.
3) Develop a strategy and differentiated value proposition for the area.
4) Formulate release criteria for an MVP and drive a team of engineers and scientists to build, measure, learn and iterate towards a successful solution.
5) Leverage your great interpersonal skills to collaborate and execute with a diverse team.
6) Provide requirements to backend platform and frontend UX teams to scale the solution out.
7) Guide and collaborate with Microsoft Research towards solving the future long-term AI problems we will face.
8) Continuously read the latest AI, ML and deep learning papers from the hottest conferences (NIPS, ICLR, ICML ACL, EMNLP, SIGIR, etc.) and use ideas from them to inspire and direct the team.
9) Work with marketing and PR teams to evangelize our work.
10) Prototype and play with deep learning and AI toolkits like TensorFlow, CNTK, and TLC/Azure ML.
Skills and Qualifications
We are seeking talented Program Managers / Product Managers who drive for results, are self-motivated, and have a propensity for action. Search and AI PMs should fluently cross the language barriers of technologies and customers. We work with a very diverse team across many borders and boundaries so great interpersonal skills are a must.
• BS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related technical field. MBA or advanced technical degree such as a MS or PhD is preferred.
• 5+ years of product management, engineering, or equivalent experience.
• 3+ years of experience in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, algorithms, large scale systems, or statistics, preferably hands on.
• Product leadership experience driving engineers and scientists with PhDs.
• A start up mentality to move and iterate quickly. Not afraid to cross responsibility expectations by coding or designing mockups.
• Experience in working with cloud and distributed systems.
• Familiarity with deeply algorithmic topics.
• Great organizational, analytical, data science skills and intuition.
• Fantastic problem solver; ability to solve problems that the world has not solved before.
• Customer empathy with incredible interpersonal, negotiating, and influencing skills.
• Strong business and strategic sense to maximize product market fit.
• Superb design intuition and extremely creative.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.