Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world's leading clean, engine technology. We're also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
The Cummins Power Systems Business is a global provider of power generation systems, components, and services in standby power, distributed power generation, as well as auxiliary power in mobile applications to meet the needs of a diversified customer base. Cummins Power Systems also provides a full range of services and solutions, including long-term operation and maintenance contracts and turnkey and temporary power solutions.
This is an exciting opportunity for a new product development Senior Project Manager Power Systems Business Unit. This role will be based in Shoreview, MN.
The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for managing Power Generation Systems Projects (Gensets, G-Drives, ATS, Switchgears). This role will manage, develop, and implement programs composed of multiple cross functional projects. Key Responsibilities:
- Partner with key business stakeholders to ensure a successful project completion .
- Lead multiple cross-functional projects that may comprise a program from inception to completion; facilitate project planning sessions with internal stakeholders to determine the scope and objectives of each project; work with business stakeholders to establish project performance goals; design project plan, develops timeline, identify project milestones, and track performance against performance goals and timeline.
- In very large programs this role could include the responsibility to work with business and functional leaders to define tangible and measurable business outcomes and to lead the program achieving those business outcomes.
- Identify, track, and work with others to resolve project issues.
- Monitor and communicate project status to project team.
- Plan and monitor project budget, conduct research and analysis; provide input into the design and development of project plans and timelines.
- Manage project risk; use quality tools to identify areas of risk; identify alternatives or solutions; apply motivational techniques to broad-based organization change issues.
- Leverage experience of cross-functional resources and resources external to the project team; document and shares team learnings with other teams; draw on other project team experiences to enhance the success of the project.
- Ensure that project documentation is complete; monitor measures and communicates with Project Sponsor and other stakeholders on status of specific projects and assignments.
- Identify and assign appropriate resources to accomplish various project tasks; guide and coaches team members through various stages of the project; provide developmental feedback to team members; coach other Project Managers in managing teams.
- Minimum eight years of relevant experience a similar role, in a global, matrix organization.
- People management experience.
- Industrial manufacturing experience and understanding of the power generation business preferred.
- Experience in an entrepreneurial, fast pace, high growth environment.
- Demonstrated work experience in project management and execution.
- Exposure and understanding of emerging technologies and IoT space a plus.
- A combination of technical and commercial experience highly desired.
Other required skills:
- Results driven, proactive, excellent stakeholder management, quick learner, and problem-solving attitude.
- Exceptional leadership skills.
- Good business acumen and good understating of the engineering space.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required to build, manage, and sustain relationships in a cross functional and highly dynamic environment.
- Learning agility and the ability to navigate networks.
- Positive, "can do" attitude and a solution focus approach towards project execution.
- Issue Management - Maintains a cross-functional, cross-organizational project issues list, with appropriate prioritization based on the issue's level of importance. Drives appropriate and timely resolution and approval of changes to the project plan. Trains and/or mentors others in Change and Issue Management.
- Scope Management - Solicits and organizes customer requirements (Voice of the Customer), and tracks the status of project deliverables. Proficiently uses a Value Package Profile (VPP) or other appropriate scope-defining document, and proactively manages change. Manages the connections between multiple levels of scope detail in related additional documents (e.g. Tech Profiles or equivalent documents). Trains and/or mentors others in scope management.
- Schedule Management - Manages complex schedules integrating multiple sub-projects. Coaches "should mapping" sessions, and/or has an advanced level of proficiency with schedule management tools. Trains and/or mentors others in schedule management.
- Resource Plan Management - Develops, manages, and coordinates cross-functional, cross-organizational resource plans for a portfolio, program, and/or project. Knows the right level of detail needed to complete the processes and use the tools effectively. Trains and/or mentors others in Resource Management.
- Stakeholder Management And Communication - Identifies, engages and manages stakeholders at many levels of the company and across many functions and across boundaries (geography/cultures/plants/suppliers) on high impact, cross-functional or multi-year initiatives on a project, program or groups of projects and programs. Overcomes obstacles and resistance among stakeholders. Effectively stratifies stakeholder needs and creates and executes communications plans to fit the unique needs of each type of stakeholder. Trains and/or mentors others in stakeholder management.
- Business Planning/Strategy - Performs business planning (business case, NPV, etc.) and strategic analysis and able to do sanity checks on the data.
Cross-Functional Knowledge - Understands the detailed work in multiple cross-functional areas. Trains and/or mentors this skill.
- Project Risk Management - Leads complex or large project teams in the development of a project FMEA and/or 9-box project risk summary, and identifies and manages the actions to mitigate the risk. Trains and/or mentors other in this skill
College, university, or equivalent degree. Masters or MBA preferred. Compensation and Benefits
Base annual salary commensurate with experience plus annual variable compensation. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits. Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
No, this isn't one of those ordinary jobs.