What you will do:
The Senior Quality Engineer is responsible for identifying opportunities and leading action teams to ensure that quality improvements are made and results sustained across products, processes, and systems using a wide variety of leading-edge improvement methods under the leadership of the Quality Manager. How you will do it?
The responsibilities of the Senior Quality Engineer include, but are not limited to:
- Continuously improve quality systems.
- Diagnose and correct improper quality practices.
- Take lead ownership role in responding to external and internal customer quality issues using prescribed problem-solving methodology.
- Protect customers from defects by the application of production control plans, mistake-proofing techniques, layered audits.
- Apply statistical methodology including capability studies and analysis, statistical process control, design of experiments, and measurement systems analysis, among other techniques and tools.
- Drive for and achieve stable, predictable processes followed by actions to reduce variability. Implement appropriate quality and statistical methods including selection of critical characteristics and sampling methods and frequencies required to maintain processes under control.
- Collect, analyze using mathematical computer modeling such as regression, ANOVA, DOE, etc., and communicate information/reports/documentation required for quality system, operations, or customer requirements.
- Identify training needs regarding quality and statistical tools (SPC, etc.) for individuals and ensure their capability is maintained to meet the needs of the company quality system and operations/business requirements.
- Lead Six Sigma Black Belt projects targeting significant business issues aimed at increasing profitability of the company at business, operations, and local process levels.
- Lead FPY (First Pass Yield) improvement efforts including data collection, analysis, reporting, communications, and linkage to corrective actions.
- Lead sub-team of quality engineers for implementation of JCMS (Johnson Controls Manufacturing System) under the direction of the Quality Manager.
- Perform in key role on cross-functional teams (Value Stream Teams) including but not limited to Quality, Design Engineering, Manufacturing, Manufacturing Engineering, and Purchasing to develop and ensure proper problem solving and continuous improvement methods are employed.
- Develop and establish appropriate quality criteria (visual standards, boundary samples, etc.), and maintain systems to control these standards.
- Review and take decisions with cross-functional team for suspect material on hold (Material Review Board) for timely disposition and processing.
- Identify warranty improvement opportunities and drive improvement through participation on Technical Service/Warranty teams.
- Mentor and coach Quality department personnel including Quality Auditors and Engineers regarding quality fundamentals and practice, continuous improvement, and statistical methods.
- Other duties as assigned.
What we look for:
- May supervise other Quality Department personnel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The candidate must be a self-starter and not require motivation or micro-management by the Supervisor of this position. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Education and/or Experience
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Full knowledge of fundamental quality engineering standards (ASQ CQE body of knowledge) and concepts as demonstrated through the development and implementation of quality systems that reflect modern quality approaches and techniques.
- Demonstrate ability to accomplish department goals and deadlines through training.
- Experience supervising, managing, coaching, developing, motivating and evaluating employees in the manufacturing auditing and receiving inspection, which consists of quality representatives, auditors and/or inspectors.
- Development of manufacturing quality system for new product development including control plans, capability studies, failure mode and effects analysis, measurement systems analysis, and system for monitoring field quality, identifying issues and actions to permanently resolve issues resulting in at least 50% reduction of customer issues.
- Effective and tactful communications required particularly as they relate to quality improvement issues to frequent interface with internal and external manufacturing and design group professionals.
- Strong ISO 9001 skills in a large manufacturing operation required performing internal quality management system audits, facilitating external quality management system audits, corrective action system administration, developing and conducting training on internal audits, inputs to management review process, implementation of non-conforming material system, supplier material review and corrective action, material approval process resulting in significant business improved quality results.
- Strong computer skills required including Microsoft Excel macros, Microsoft Access database development, Visual Basic programming, Minitab, project management software skills.
- Some design software expertise such as Pro E / Auto Cad required. Also required experience using Salesforce customer complaint management software, Share point, and SAP.
- Master's Degree in a technical discipline and a minimum of three (3) years related experience is required.
- Experience leading a minimum of 2 Six Sigma Black Belt projects with a minimum combined cost savings of $150,000 annually.
- Experience operating CMM and Optical Comparator required. Proficiency using digital micrometers, calipers, pin gages, etc. required. Experience operating Keyence digital microscope, Jodon fin louver angle measurement system, and Faro Arm preferred.
- Knowledge of HVAC systems required.
- ASQ Certified Six Sigma Black Belt required
- ASQ Certified Quality Auditor required
- Lean Implementation certification required
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel and crouch. Occasionally the employee is required to climb or balance. Employee must be able to regularly lift and/or move from (5) five to (50) fifty pounds. Employee must be able to raise arms to chest level, above shoulder level and overhead. Must be able to reach with hands and arms; use hands to fingers, handle or feel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus with or without corrective lenses.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.