The Alternative Methods Scientist is the Global Petcare R&D specialist in the development, implementation, calibration, validation, monitoring, training and use of alternative chemical and physical methods, as well as in the scouting of new technologies and instruments to be used for materials authenticity purpose or detection of adulterants. The scientist 1) optimizes PetCare use of alternative methods (AM) in factories in a manner consistent with Nestlé laboratory standards and guidelines, and in alignment with Analytical Services objective 2) leads the global petcare working group program on AM 3) investigates and proposes new AM or technologies or instruments to be used in plants and R&D facilities, including for authenticity and detection of adulterants
1. Determine, develop, and maintain AM techniques and models, and associated GLP and other control measures necessary for PetCare needs
2. Lead sustainable AM training development and delivery with regional and R&D AM contacts (SME)
3. Primary contact for regional AM specialists to support needs and inquiries
4. Liaise with vendors of instruments to keep updated on existing instruments and scouting of new ones
5. Author or collaborate with regions to deliver Laboratory Instructions for AM and any other SOP
6. Participate in factory and external AM laboratory assessment/approval process, collaborate closely with NPAL
7. Lead the PetCare Global Analytical Working Group program
8. Primary contact with NRC and AM Network,
9. Lead investigation for new technologies and instruments to be used for authenticity / detection of adulterants purpose on petcare raw materials / goods
• Will work closely with NP Analytical staff, PTC, NRC, and CO-QM NQACs, and to a lesser degree factory QA management and personnel). Strong contact with outside AM equipment vendors. The AM scientist is highly influential in promoting successful and compliant execution by factory laboratories.
• Maintain and develop technical expertise
SUPERVISION GIVEN AND RECEIVED:
• Global R&D Head of QM and AS
JOB QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, and Knowledge):
• Master Chemical Engineering, chemistry, physics, or applied mathematics.
• 5+ years experience with alternative methods development(examples include XRF, NIR, FT-IR, NMR, MWR, and refractometry) statistical modeling/chemometrics
• Skills: Must be proficient with basic Computer Operations (such as Microsoft office). Good facilitation and communication skills. Experience with lab instrumentation and general statistics is important.