Ethicon Wound Closure & Repair, a member of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies, is recruiting for a Senior R&D Engineer, Plus Sutures to be based in Somerville, NJ.
The Global Surgery Group is comprised of the following businesses within Johnson & Johnson: Ethicon Surgical Care, Ethicon Energy, Ethicon Biosurgery, Acclarent, Biosense Webster, Cordis, Mentor and Sterilmed. With annual sales of $11 billion, the Global Surgery Group is the world’s largest, most innovative surgical company. The strength of the Global Surgery Group is illustrated by the fact that more than 80% of our sales come from businesses with #1 or #2 global market share positions. We serve customers around the world, with about 60% of our sales generated outside the U.S., including a fast-growing presence in emerging markets. The Global Surgery Group is committed to innovation, with about 30% of our sales coming from products introduced in the past five years.
The Senior R&D Engineer, Plus Sutures will:
- Lead and function as a contributing member of cross-functional / multidisciplinary project teams in the design, development, and manufacturing of surgical sutures, surgical devices, in particular devices that combine antibacterial agents with medical devices. The individual in this position would be expected to conduct hands-on materials development and characterization.
- Provide technical support for marketed medical device products to other business functions, including Regulatory compliance activities.
- Compile and analyze data to identify relationships/root causes in order to draw conclusions and generate reports.
- Contribute inventions, new designs, new processes and techniques to solve technical problems based on customer needs. Effectively applies state-of-the-art scientific/technical knowledge to projects; demonstrates state-of-the-art proficiency in own field
- Incorporate manufacturability into new product development and interact with manufacturing to scale up R&D prototype equipment to manufacturing capacity.
- Interact with customers (surgeons) to identify unmet needs and validate designs.
- Bachelors Degree in Chemical Engineering, Bio Medical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 6 years industrial experience as a technical contributor, or Masters Degree in similar field with a minimum of 4 years industrial experience OR Ph.D. in similar field with a minimum of 2 years industrial experience is required.
- Adept, hands-on experimentalist with knowledge in chemistry, and demonstrated understanding of material property characterization is required.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment that embraces change, risk, and flexibility is required.
- Strong background in statistics and data analysis is required.
- Must be capable of handling multiple projects/tasks at the same time.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in medical devices product/process development is preferred.
- Working understanding of chemistry/organic chemistry.
- Experience in polymer coating and material characterization is preferred.
- Knowledge of medical devices regulations is preferred.
- Potential to lead project team within 1 to 3 years.
- Highly developed problem solving skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to think strategically.
- This position is based in Somerville, NJ and requires up to 10% travel, both domestic and international.
United States-New Jersey-SomervilleOrganization
Ethicon Inc. (6045)Job Function
R&D Engineering (R&D)Requisition ID