Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We have best-in-class products available in more than 100 countries across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; a growing franchise in Oncology; and an emerging, innovative pipeline in Ophthalmics.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
This primary responsibility of this role is the management of the sales targeting and call planning process for the US sales teams in support of assigned Franchise(s).
The individual in this role will partner with sales leaders and other internal stakeholders to evaluate existing call plans and make actionable recommendations to Franchise leaders maximize the effectiveness of the supported sales teams. In addition, they will also help facilitate the implementation changes with the purpose of driving operational excellence.
It is critical that the person in this role have the ability to work in a dynamic environment and across multiple functional areas to develop and implement effective solutions that can be executed on time and with available resources.
The individual in this role must also be able to look beyond the immediate needs and anticipate mid and long-term needs to ensure processes are able to support the future needs of the business.
Finally, the individual must be able to govern well-controlled and documented processes for call planning and targeting, ensuring adherence to regulatory and compliance policies/standards to ensure readiness for internal/external audits and reviews.
Specific responsibilities will include:
• Participating in discussions around the development of the brand targeting strategy.
• Oversight of the quarterly call planning and targeting process to ensure all business rules that are developed as part of the strategic decision-making process are appropriately interpreted and executed within our processes and systems.
• Ensure that quarterly call plans are delivered on time.
• Working closely with the sales leaders to review and finalize territory and regional alignments.
• Maintaining the field alignment for assigned sales teams.
• Coordinating sales force size & structure analyses, as required based on business need.
• Partnering with Commercial IT to ensure field tools used in targeting, call planning, and alignments meet the business needs for each sales team.
• Ensuring proper documentation and control of processes.
Job Function and Description
80% - Deliver targeting and alignment solutions for assigned Franchise's. Ensure targeting and alignment solutions have high levels of quality, accuracy, and process consistency. Influence internal stakeholders with insights and guidance that help optimize the execution of brand strategy.
10% - Ensure proper documentation and monitor adherence to call planning & alignment policies and procedures.
10% - Serve on multi-disciplinary teams to integrate US Sales Operations best practices across departments.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor's degree preferred
• 4-6 years of related professional experience
• Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple priorities and projects
• Excellent analytical skills, and demonstrated experience in synthesizing data that will assist in informed decision making, including the use of Excel or other tools
• Ability to handle multiple responsibilities, prioritize appropriately, and find the way to deliver results efficiently
• Works well with others in a team-oriented environment
• Detail oriented, strong problem solving skills, and high sense of urgency
• Excellent oral & written communication skills
• Direct experience in sales operations or related function
• Experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
The role will require a high level of business be acumen and industry experience to develop recommendations, perform effective project management, and develop meaningful partnerships with the Franchise sales and Marketing teams.
Experience dealing with various interrelated, interdependent systems is required and must be able to influence without formal authority.
Builds a Collaborative Culture
• Builds and models a culture of questioning and constructive challenge to foster openness and candid dialogue
• Listens to and carefully considers others' perspectives
• Acts with an understanding and sensitivity to others locally and globally, internally and externally
Leads with Strategic Agility
• Moves easily between addressing current needs and planning for the future with informed insight
• Considers marketplace and economic forces and trends in making sound business decisions
• Anticipates and proactively addresses the ambiguity inherent in a changing environment
• Quickly focuses on the critical issues while prioritizing current work
Develops Organizational Capability
• Considers and addresses business and development needs
• Generates breakthrough solutions
• Draws on unexpected or seemingly unrelated ways of thinking
• Operates from a framework of possibility
Complexity and Problem Solving
Will provide recommendations based on solid analysis of data and insight generation.
Internal and External Contacts
Highly collaborative and influential role interacting with management and stakeholders from the Franchise's, Sales, US Commercial Operations, peers etc.
Other Job Requirements
Occasional travel may be required in support of Shire's current & emerging footprint. Duties may sometimes call for early or late meetings and/or attendance to meetings on holidays and/or weekends.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire is an equal opportunity employer. Shire evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Shire is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.